Developing country trade policies and market access issues : 1990-2012
The study presents a comprehensive review of developing country trade policies and market access issues as they evolved over the period 1990-2012. The main findings are, first, that applied tariffs as well as traditional core non-tariff measures have declined significantly over time in both developed and developing countries. Second, the instruments of protection used by developed and developing countries are becoming increasingly similar: trade remedies, especially anti-dumping are the instruments of choice for all except low-income developing countries. Third, agriculture is the main sector where developing countries face access problems in OECD markets. Fourth, regional and other preferential trade agreements are both a result and a cause of the lack of progress in multilateral trade negotiations. They violate the basic World Trade Organization tenet of most favored nation and thus pose a potential threat to the multilateral system and a potential stimulus to further multilateral collaboration. Fifth, sanitary and phytosanitary and technical barriers to trade are being increasingly used by both developed and developing countries but their protective intent is difficult to gauge. There is a need for increased vigilance, transparency, and reporting to ensure that they are not being used as a means of protection of economic interests. Sixth, the service sectors are the most promising area where efforts for further liberalization are needed and may produce significant benefits. And seventh, far less additional protection has been put in place following the 2008 financial crisis compared with what had been feared or what had happened in earlier crises.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans Binswanger & Ernst Lutz, 2003.
"Agricultural trade barriers, trade negotiations and the interests of developing countries,"
in: Trade and Development, chapter 8
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Lutz, Ernst, 2000. "Agricultural Trade Barriers, Trade Negotiations and the Interests of Developing Countries," 2000 Conference, August 13-18, 2000, Berlin, Germany 197210, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Arvind Panagariya, 2000. "Preferential Trade Liberalization: The Traditional Theory and New Developments," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(2), pages 287-331, June.
- Ingo Borchert & Batshur Gootiiz & Aaditya Mattoo, 2014.
"Policy Barriers to International Trade in Services: Evidence from a New Database,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 28(1), pages 162-188.
- Borchert, Ingo & Gootiiz, Batshur & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2012. "Policy barriers to international trade in services : evidence from a new database," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6109, The World Bank.
- Bo Xiong & John Beghin, 2012.
"Does European aflatoxin regulation hurt groundnut exporters from Africa?,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 39(4), pages 589-609, September.
- Xiong, Bo & Beghin, John C., 2010. "Does European Aflatoxin Regulation Hurt Groundnut Exporters from Africa?," Staff General Research Papers Archive 31595, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Xiong, Bo & Beghin, John C., 2011. "Does European Aflatoxin Regulation Hurt Groundnut Exporters from Africa?," Staff General Research Papers Archive 34936, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Gootiiz, Batshur & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2009. "Services in Doha : what's on the table ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4903, The World Bank.
- Nogues, Julio J & Olechowski, Andrzej & Winters, L Alan, 1986.
"The Extent of Nontariff Barriers to Industrial Countries' Imports,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 1(1), pages 181-199, September.
- Julio.J. Nogués & Andrzej Olechowski & L. Alan Winters, 2015. "The Extent of Nontariff Barriers to Industrial Countries' Imports," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Non-Tariff Barriers, Regionalism and Poverty Essays in Applied International Trade Analysis, chapter 2, pages 29-47 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Tsunehiro Otsuki & John S. Wilson, 2001. "What price precaution? European harmonisation of aflatoxin regulations and African groundnut exports," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 28(3), pages 263-284, October.
- John Wilson & Tsunehiro Otsuki & Baishali Majumdsar, 2003.
"Balancing food safety and risk: do drug residue limits affect international trade in beef?,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 377-402.
- Wilson, John S. & Otsuki, Tsunehiro & Majumdar, Baishali, 2003. "Balancing Food Safety And Risk: Do Drug Residue Limits Affect International Trade In Beef?," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21971, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Won Chang & L. Alan Winters, 2002.
"How Regional Blocs Affect Excluded Countries: The Price Effects of MERCOSUR,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 889-904, September.
- Won Chang & Winters, L. Alan, 1999. "How regional blocs affect excluded countries - the price effects of MERCOSUR," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2157, The World Bank.
- Chang, Won & Winters, L. Alan, 1999. "How Regional Blocs Affect Excluded Countries: The Price Effects of MERCOSUR," CEPR Discussion Papers 2179, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Drabek, Zdenek & Laird, Sam, 1997. "The new liberalism: Trade policy developments in emerging markets," WTO Staff Working Papers ERAD-97-07, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Michalopoulos, Constantine & Ng, Francis, 2013. "Trends in developing country trade 1980-2010," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6334, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2012. "World Development Indicators 2012," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6014.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:6463. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.