Taking Stock of Antidumping, Safeguards and Countervailing Duties, 1990–2009
This paper examines the evolving, cross-country use of antidumping, safeguard, and countervailing duty policies -- temporary trade barriers (TTBs) -- over the period 1990-2009. The author constructs two new measures of imported products subject to the combined use of these TTBs before applying these measures to new data drawn from the World Bank's Temporary Trade Barriers Database. The research establishes a number of facts regarding trends in historical use to benchmark against policy activity during the global economic crisis of 2008-2009. The 2008-2009 economic shock mostly accentuates patterns and trends already visible in the pre-crisis data: e.g., while the major users of such policies overall combined to increase the product lines subject to TTBs by 25 percent during the crisis, this was driven almost entirely by developing economies which increased their product coverage by 40 percent. On the export side, a previously unidentified feature of the data is that a much larger share of China's exports to other developing economies is subject to foreign-imposed antidumping than its exports to developed economies. The evidence confirms this feature is shared by a number of other major developing economy exporters, deepening concern that these discriminatory trade barriers are increasingly a"South-South"phenomenon.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 34 (2011)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0378-5920|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0378-5920|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2006.
"Estimating Trade Restrictiveness Indices,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5576, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael O. Moore & Maurizio Zanardi, 2009.
"Does antidumping use contribute to trade liberalization in developing countries?,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(2), pages 469-495, May.
- Michael Owen Moore & Maurizio Zanardi, 2008. "Does Antidumping Use Contribute to Trade Liberalization in Developing Countries," Working Papers 2008-01, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Ronald D. Fischer & 1998, 1998.
"Contingent protection as better insurance,"
Documentos de Trabajo
49, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Ronald D. Fischer & Thomas J. Prusa, 1999. "Contingent Protection as Better Insurance," NBER Working Papers 6933, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas J. Prusa & Ronald D. Fischer, 1999. "Contingent protection as better insurance," Departmental Working Papers 199902, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Hiau Looi Kee & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2004.
"Import demand elasticities and trade distortions,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3452, The World Bank.
- Cadot, Olivier & de Melo, Jaime & Tumurchudur, Bolormaa, 2007. "Anti-Dumping Sunset Reviews: The Uneven Reach of WTO Disciplines," CEPR Discussion Papers 6502, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blanchard, Emily J., 2010.
"Reevaluating the role of trade agreements: Does investment globalization make the WTO obsolete?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 63-72, September.
- Emily Blanchard, 2006. "Reevaluating the Role of Trade Agreements: Does Investment Globalization Make the WTO Obsolete?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1735, CESifo Group Munich.
- Evenett, Simon J., 2009. "Global Trade Alert: Motivation and Launch," World Trade Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 607-609, October.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Neagu, Cristina & Nicita, Alessandro, 2010.
"Is protectionism on the rise ? assessing national trade policies during the crisis of 2008,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5274, The World Bank.
- Hiau Looi Kee & Cristina Neagu & Alessandro Nicita, 2013. "Is Protectionism on the Rise? Assessing National Trade Policies during the Crisis of 2008," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 95(1), pages 342-346, March.
- Hylke Vandenbussche & Maurizio Zanardi, 2010.
"The chilling trade effects of antidumping proliferation,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/136355, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Vandenbussche, Hylke & Zanardi, Maurizio, 2010. "The chilling trade effects of antidumping proliferation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 760-777, August.
- VANDENBUSSCHE, Hylke & ZANARDI, Maurizio, . "The chilling trade effects of antidumping proliferation," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2355, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Thomas Prusa & Michael Knetter, 2000.
"Macroeconomic Factors and Antidumping Filings: Evidence from Four Countries,"
Departmental Working Papers
200023, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Knetter, Michael M. & Prusa, Thomas J., 2003. "Macroeconomic factors and antidumping filings: evidence from four countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 1-17, October.
- Michael M. Knetter & Thomas J. Prusa, 2000. "Macroeconomic Factors and Antidumping Filings: Evidence from Four Countries," NBER Working Papers 8010, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antoni Estevadeordal & Caroline Freund & Emanuel Ornelas, 2008.
"Does Regionalism Affect Trade Liberalization Towards Non-Members?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0868, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Antoni Estevadeordal & Caroline Freund & Emanuel Ornelas, 2008. "Does Regionalism Affect Trade Liberalization toward NonMembers?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1531-1575, November.
- Estevadeordal, Antoni & Freund, Caroline & Ornelas, Emanuel, 2008. "Does regionalism affect trade liberalization toward non-members ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4751, The World Bank.
- Antoni Estevadeordal & Caroline Freund & Emanuel Ornelas, 2008. "Does regionalism affect trade liberalization towards non-members?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19584, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Chad P. Bown, 2007.
"China's WTO Entry: Antidumping, Safeguards, and Dispute Settlement,"
NBER Working Papers
13349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chad P. Bown, 2010. "China's WTO Entry: Antidumping, Safeguards, and Dispute Settlement," NBER Chapters, in: China's Growing Role in World Trade, pages 281-337 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas J. Prusa, 1999.
"On the spread and impact of antidumping,"
Departmental Working Papers
199916, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Handley, Kyle & Limão, Nuno, 2012.
"Trade and Investment under Policy Uncertainty: Theory and Firm Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8798, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kyle Handley & Nuno Limão, 2012. "Trade and Investment under Policy Uncertainty: Theory and Firm Evidence," NBER Working Papers 17790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick A. Messerlin, 2004. "China in the World Trade Organization: Antidumping and Safeguards," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 18(1), pages 105-130.
- Bown, Chad P. & Tovar, Patricia, 2011. "Trade liberalization, antidumping, and safeguards: Evidence from India's tariff reform," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 115-125, September.
- Finger, J. Michael & Nogues, Julio J., 2008. "Safeguards and antidumping in Latin American trade liberalization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4680, The World Bank.
- Chad P. Bown, 2008. "The Wto And Antidumping In Developing Countries," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 255-288, 06.
- Bown, Chad P., 2009. "The global resort to antidumping, safeguards, and other trade remedies amidst the economic crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5051, The World Bank.
- Kara M. Reynolds, 2009. "From Agreement to Application: An Analysis of Determinations under the WTO Antidumping Agreement," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 969-985, November.
- Gunnar Niels & Joseph Francois, 2006. "Business Cycles, the Exchange Rate, and Demand for Antidumping Protection in Mexico," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 388-399, 08.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Thomas J. Prusa, 2001. "Antidumping," NBER Working Papers 8398, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:worlde:v:34:y:2011:i:12:p:1955-1998. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.