Transactions: A New Look at Service Sector Foreign Direct Investment in Asia
This paper presents new micro-level data consisting of individual greenfield investment projects and mergers and acquisitions as a source for detailed analysis of service sector cross-border investment flows among the Asian Development Bank (ADB) regional members. The new transactional foreign direct investment (FDI) data are methodologically distinct from traditional BPM5- compliant FDI data but found to yield generally comparable aggregates, when compared with the latest available International Monetary Fund (IMF) data from the Comprehensive Direct Investment Survey for the ADB regional members. The service sectors are found to receive considerably larger amounts of foreign investment, when compared with the Asian region’s manufacturing and raw materials sectors. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) countries account for roughly three-quarters of total recorded inward service sector FDI of about $2 trillion, relatively evenly split between the United States, the EU-27, and regional OECD-level-income countries. The presence of sizable regional “upward flowing” service sector investments into OECD-level- income economies is verified. Preliminary policy conclusions are drawn based on the new transactional FDI data results concerning prospects for regional service sector liberalization, threshold income levels for inward service sector FDI, upward-flowing regional services FDI, and preferred modes of service sector investments.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||30 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: (63-2) 636-2648
Web page: http://www.adb.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Volker Nocke & Stephen Yeaple, 2004.
"An Assignment Theory of Foreign Direct Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
11003, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Volker Nocke & Stephen Yeaple, 2004. "An Assignment Theory of Foreign Direct Investment," PIER Working Paper Archive 05-003, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Stephen Yeaple & Volker Nocke, 2005. "An Assignment Theory of Foreign Direct Investment," 2005 Meeting Papers 146, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Philippa Dee, 2007.
"East Asian Economic Integration and its Impact on Future Growth,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 405-423, 03.
- Philippa Dee, 2005. "East Asian Economic Integration and its Impact on Future Growth," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 350, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Philippa Dee, 2005. "East Asian Economic Integration and its Impact on Future Growth," Development Economics Working Papers 21988, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Robert E. Lipsey & Lee G. Branstetter & C. Fritz Foley & James Harrigan & J. Bradford Jensen & Lori Kletzer & Catherine Mann & Peter K. Schott & Greg C. Wright, 2010. "Report on the State of Available Data for the Study of International Trade and Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 16254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Theodore H. Moran, 2011. "Foreign Direct Investment and Development: Launching a Second Generation of Policy Research: Avoiding the Mistakes of the First, Reevaluating Policies for Developed and Developing Countries," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 6000, March.
- Mihir A. Desai & James R. Hines Jr., 2001.
"Foreign Direct Investment in a World of Multiple Taxes,"
NBER Working Papers
8440, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Desai, Mihir A. & Foley, C. Fritz & Hines, James Jr., 2004. "Foreign direct investment in a world of multiple taxes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(12), pages 2727-2744, December.
- OCHIAI Ryo & Philippa DEE & Christopher FINDLAY, 2007. "Services in Free Trade Agreements," Discussion papers 07015, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbewp:0318. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Susan M. Torres)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.