The Efficiency of Training and Hiring with Intra firm Bargaining
In a matching and intrafi rm bargaining economy with constant return to scale production and matching technologies, large fi rms hire and train workers efficiently. The efficiency of the competitive economy relies on the ability of large fi rm to take into account the consequences of training on the wages bargained inside the fi rm. This intrafi rm bargaining process solves the hold-up problem that is associated with training costs that would otherwise lead to inefficient decisions of hiring and training.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00449625|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cahuc, Pierre & Wasmer, Etienne, 2001. "Does Intrafirm Bargaining Matter In The Large Firm'S Matching Model?," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(05), pages 742-747, November.
- Yashiv, Eran, 2006.
"Evaluating the performance of the search and matching model,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 909-936, May.
- Eran Yashiv, 2005. "Evaluating the Performance of the Search and Matching Model," CEP Discussion Papers dp0677, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Yashiv, Eran, 2006. "Evaluating the Performance of the Search and Matching Model," IZA Discussion Papers 1931, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Moen, Espen R & Rosén, Åsa, 2002.
"Does Poaching Distort Training?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3468, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Espen R. Moen & Asa Rosén, 2004. "Does Poaching Distort Training?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(4), pages 1143-1162, October.
- Espen R. Moen & �sa Rosén, 2004. "Does Poaching Distort Training?," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(4), pages 1143-1162.
- Jansen, Marcel, 2010. "Job auctions and hold-ups," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 608-619, June.
- Arnaud Chéron & Jean-Olivier Hairault & François Langot, 2008.
"A Quantitative Evaluation of Payroll Tax Subsidies For Low-Wage Workers: An Equilibrium Search Approach,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Chéron, Arnaud & Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Langot, François, 2008. "A quantitative evaluation of payroll tax subsidies for low-wage workers: An equilibrium search approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(3-4), pages 817-843, April.
- Jan Boone & Ruud A. de Mooij, 2003. "Tax policy in a matching model with training," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(1), pages 121-147, January.
- Malcomson, J.M., 1997.
"Contracts, hold-up and labor markets,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
9703, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Mortensen, Dale T, 1999. "Equilibrium Unemployment Dynamics," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(4), pages 889-914, November.
- repec:oup:restud:v:57:y:1990:i:2:p:279-98 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daron Acemoglu & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1998.
"Beyond Becker: Training in Imperfect Labor Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
6740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Pischke, Jorn-Steffen, 1999. "Beyond Becker: Training in Imperfect Labour Markets," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(453), pages F112-42, February.
- Daron Acemoglu & Joern-Steffen Pischke, 1998. "Beyond Becker: Training in Imperfect Labor Markets," Working papers 98-12, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael, 2004. "Endogenous wage dispersion in a search-matching model," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 623-645, October.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Marque, François & Wasmer, Etienne, 2004.
"A Theory of Wages and Labour Demand with Intra-firm Bargaining and Matching Frictions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4605, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre Cahuc & Francois Marque & Etienne Wasmer, 2008. "A Theory Of Wages And Labor Demand With Intra-Firm Bargaining And Matching Frictions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 49(3), pages 943-972, 08.
- repec:oup:restud:v:63:y:1996:i:3:p:375-410 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dale T. Mortensen, 2009. "Wage Dispersion in the Search and Matching Model with Intra-Firm Bargaining," NBER Working Papers 15033, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, Eric, 1994.
"Search, Concave Production, and Optimal Firm Size,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
882, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grout, Paul A, 1984. "Investment and Wages in the Absence of Binding Contracts: A Nash Bargining Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 449-60, March.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:113:y:1998:i:1:p:78-118 is not listed on IDEAS
- Krause, Michael & Lubik, Thomas A., 2007.
"Does intra-firm bargaining matter for business cycle dynamics?,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2007,17, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Krause, Michael U. & Lubik, Thomas A., 2013. "Does Intra-Firm Bargaining Matter for Business Cycle Dynamics?," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue 3Q, pages 229-250.
- Cheron, A., 2005. "Efficient v.s. equilibrium unemployment with match-specific costs," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 176-183, August.
- repec:oup:restud:v:64:y:1997:i:3:p:445-64 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hungerbuhler, Mathias, 2007. "Tax progression and training in a matching framework," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 185-200, April.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, June.
- Naoki Shintoyo, 2008. "Creation of jobs and firm-sponsored training in a matching model of unemployment," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 93(2), pages 145-176, March.
- Higashi, Youichiro, 2002. "Firm specific human capital and unemployment in a growing economy," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 35-44, January.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:107:y:1992:i:4:p:1371-91 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stole, Lars A & Zwiebel, Jeffrey, 1996. "Organizational Design and Technology Choice under Intrafirm Bargaining," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 195-222, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00449625. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.