Competition in the quality of higher education: the impact of students' mobility
This paper analyzes in a two-country model the impact of students' mobility on the country-specific level of higher educational quality. Individuals decide whether and where to study based on their individual ability and the implemented quality of education. We show that the mobility of students affects educational quality in countries and welfare in a very different way depending on the degree of return migration. With a low return probability, countries choose suboptimally differentiated levels of educational quality, or even no differentiation at all.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00564912|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicola D. Coniglio & Francesco Prota, 2008.
"Human capital accumulation and migration in a peripheral EU region: the case of Basilicata,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(1), pages 77-95, 03.
- Nicola D. Coniglio & Francesco Prota, 2003. "Human Capital Accumulation and Migration in a Peripheral EU Region: the Case of Basilicata," ERSA conference papers ersa03p157, European Regional Science Association.
- Haupt, Alexander & Krieger, Tim & Lange, Thomas, 2010. "Competition for the International Pool of Talents : Education Policy with Student Mobility," CCES Discussion Paper Series 31, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Elena Del Rey, 2001. "Economic Integration and Public Provision of Education," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 28(2), pages 203-218, June.
- Jacobs, Bas & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 2005.
"Guide to Reform of Higher Education: A European Perspective,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5327, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bas Jacobs & Frederick Van Der Ploeg, 2006. "Guide to reform of higher education: a European perspective," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(47), pages 535-592, 07.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & THISSE, Jacques-François, "undated".
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
370, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- JUSTMAN , Moshe & THISSE, Jacques-François, "undated".
"Local public funding of higher education when skilled labor is imperfectly mobile,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1460, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Moshe Justman & Jacques-Francois Thisse, 2000. "Local Public Funding of Higher Education When Skilled Labor is Imperfectly Mobile," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 7(3), pages 247-258, May.
- Jonathan Chaloff & Georges Lemaître, 2009. "Managing Highly-Skilled Labour Migration: A Comparative Analysis of Migration Policies and Challenges in OECD Countries," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 79, OECD Publishing.
- Jennifer Hunt, 2006. "Staunching Emigration from East Germany: Age and the Determinants of Migration," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(5), pages 1014-1037, 09.
- Henseler Miriam & Plesch Joachim, 2009. "How Can Scholarship Institutions Foster the Return of Foreign Students?," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 229(4), pages 382-409, August.
- Gale, David, 1973. "Pure exchange equilibrium of dynamic economic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 12-36, February.
- Kemnitz, Alexander, 2007.
"University Funding Reform, Competition and Teaching Quality,"
Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics
01/07, Technische Universität Dresden, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Alexander Kemnitz, 2007. "University Funding Reform, Competition, and Teaching Quality," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 163(2), pages 356-378, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:psewpa:halshs-00564912. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.