The Provision of Higher Education in a Global World—Analysis and Policy Implications
Mobile students and graduates react to the institutional framework of higher education and on their turn induce changes in governmental policies. In this article, we are interested in how governmental decisions about the financial regime and the quality level of higher education interact with individual incentives to invest in higher education in closed economies and in economies open to migration. We show that mobility of (part of) the population results in a situation where the optimal instruments of the closed economy are no longer necessarily viable. The aim of the article is to derive policy implications as to the optimal financial regime and quality level of higher education in the presence of migration opportunities. (JEL codes: H77, I22, I28) Copyright , Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 54 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: https://academic.oup.com/cesifo
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Silke Uebelmesser, 2006.
"To Go or Not to Go: Emigration from Germany,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7, pages 211-231, May.
- Silke Ãœbelmesser, 2005. "To go or not to go: Emigration from Germany," CESifo Working Paper Series 1626, CESifo Group Munich.
- Thum, Claudio & Uebelmesser, Silke, 2003. "Mobility and the Role of Education as a Commitment Device," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 10(5), pages 549-564, September.
- Claudio Thum & Silke Ãœbelmesser, 2001. "Mobility and the Role of Education as a Commitment Device," CESifo Working Paper Series 450, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hessel Oosterbeek & Dinand Webbink, 2006. "Assessing the returns to studying abroad," CPB Discussion Paper 64, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- repec:oup:cesifo:v:54:y:2008:i:2:p:204-228. is not listed on IDEAS
- Stijn Kelchtermans, 2008. "Regulation of Program Supply in Higher Education: Lessons from a Funding System Reform in Flanders," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 54(2), pages 204-228, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)