Public Funding of Higher Education when Students and Skilled Workers are Mobile
The interregional mobility of high-skilled workers may induce an underinvestment in local public higher education when subfederal entities independently decide on education expenditures to maximize local output. This well-known result, which is due to a positive interregional spillover of local education policy when some individuals emigrate upon graduation, can reverse once taking student mobility into account. When local education policy attracts foreign students, a negative spillover takes place, and the actual discrepancy between decentralized policy and the global-output-maximizing solution depends on the relative size of the two spillovers. The paper also presents a variant of the model with local governments' objectives resting exclusively upon natives' utility.
Volume (Year): 65 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/fa|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baruch, Yehuda & Budhwar, Pawan S. & Khatri, Naresh, 2007. "Brain drain: Inclination to stay abroad after studies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 99-112, March.
- Andersson, Fredrik & Konrad, Kai A., 2003.
"Human capital investment and globalization in extortionary states,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(7-8), pages 1539-1555, August.
- Andersson, Fredrik & Konrad, Kai A., 2001. "Human Capital Investment and Globalization in Extortionary States," IZA Discussion Papers 239, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fredrik Andersson & Kai A. Konrad, 2002. "Human Capital Investment and Globalization in Extortionary States," CESifo Working Paper Series 703, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andersson, Fredrik & Konrad, Kai A., 2002.
"Human capital investment and globalization in extortionary states
[Humankapitalinvestitionen und Globalisierung in Ausbeutungsstaaten]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance FS IV 02-01, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Robin Boadway & Nicolas Marceau & Maurice Marchand, 1996. "Issues in decentralizing the provision of education," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 3(3), pages 311-327, July.
- Boadway, R. & Marceau, N. & Marchand, M., "undated". "Issues in decentralizing the provision of education," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1225, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BOADWAY, Robin & MARCEAU, Nicolas & MARCHAND, Maurice, 1995. "Issues in Decentralizing the Provision of Education," Cahiers de recherche 9528, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Boadway, R. & Marceau, N. & Marchand, M., 1995. "Issues in Decentralizing the Provision of Education," Papers 9528, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Jonathan Chaloff & Georges Lemaître, 2009. "Managing Highly-Skilled Labour Migration: A Comparative Analysis of Migration Policies and Challenges in OECD Countries," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 79, OECD Publishing.
- Elena Del Rey, 2001. "Economic Integration and Public Provision of Education," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 28(2), pages 203-218, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)