Issues in Decentralizing the Provision of Education
This paper analyzes some of the problems that arise in decentralizing education to the private sector. We concentrate on the difficulties that result from heterogeneity among students and competition among schools in a locational setting. We analyze two main issues, the resources expended by schools and the mix of students in schools, and report on results for two others, the location of schools and their number. For each of these, we investigate the extent to which decentralizing the provision of schooling results in an efficient allocation of resources, and consider the use of vouchers to improve the situation. Our analysis draws on elements of three distinct methodologies: the theory of clubs, location theory, and the theory of monopolistic competition. We find that private schooling will typically be inefficient, but that inefficiency may sometimes be corrected by appropriately designed vouchers.
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Pavillon J.A. De Sève, Québec, Québec, G1K 7P4|
Phone: (418) 656-5122
Fax: (418) 656-2707
Web page: http://www.ecn.ulaval.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Usher, Dan, 1977.
"The welfare economics of the socialization of commodities,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 151-168, October.
- Dan Usher, 1976. "The Welfare Economics of the Socialization of Commodities," Working Papers 218, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Boadway, R. & Marchand, M., 1990.
"The use of public expenditures for distributive purposes,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1990066, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Boadway, Robin & Marchand, Maurice, 1995. "The Use of Public Expenditures for Redistributive Purposes," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 45-59, January.
- Boadway, R. & Marchand, M., . "The use of public expenditures for redistributive purposes," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1131, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Robin W. Boadway & Maurice Marchand, 1990. "The Use of Public Expenditure for Distributive Purpose," Working Papers 796, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Robin Boadway & Nicolas Marceau & Maurice Marchand, 1996.
"Issues in decentralizing the provision of education,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 311-327, July.
- Boadway, R. & Marceau, N. & Marchand, M., 1995. "Issues in Decentralizing the Provision of Education," Papers 9528, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- BOADWAY, Robin & MARCEAU, Nicolas & MARCHAND, Maurice, 1995. "Issues in Decentralizing the Provision of Education," Cahiers de recherche 9528, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Boadway, R. & Marceau, N. & Marchand, M., . "Issues in decentralizing the provision of education," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1225, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fujita,Masahisa, 1991.
"Urban Economic Theory,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521396455, june. pag.
- repec:fth:prinin:317 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Lee, Kangoh, 1989. "Club theory with a peer-group effect," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 399-420, August.
- Ireland, Norman J., 1990. "The mix of social and private provision of goods and services," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 201-219, November.
- Epple, Dennis & Romano, Richard E, 1998. "Competition between Private and Public Schools, Vouchers, and Peer-Group Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 33-62, March.
- Besley, T. & Coate, S., 1989.
"Public Provision Of Private Goods And The Redistribution Of Income,"
36, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen, 1991. "Public Provision of Private Goods and the Redistribution of Income," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 979-84, September.
- David Card, 1993. "Using Geographic Variation in College Proximity to Estimate the Return to Schooling," NBER Working Papers 4483, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomquist, Suren & Christiansen, Vidar, 1995. " Public Provision of Private Goods as a Redistributive Device in an Optimum Income Tax Model," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(4), pages 547-67, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:laeccr:9528. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Paradis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.