Polish Households' Behavior in the Regular and Informal Economies
The paper analyzes characteristics of the informal economy in Poland in the context of transition using a specific survey carried out in the frame of the classic Labor Force Survey 1995 by the Polish National Statistical office (GUS). The participation probabilities of three types of informal activities (working, buying and hiring) are discussed. Their interdependencies are discussed the hypothesis of the network or neighborhood effects. The impact of the household's participation on informal markets on its regular consumption is estimated by imputing the informal activity probabilities to the consumption surveys and panel. Then, the specific consumption profiles of participants in the informal market can be identified. This participation does influence significantly more than half of the household's expenditure groups. Moreover, the participants of the informal economy distinguish themselves by the higher individual full prices (integrating non monetary constraints and resources).
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Revue Economique, Presses de Sciences Po, 2009, 60 (5), pp.1181-1210. <10.3917/reco.605.1181>|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00449447|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2008:i:90:p:01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix & Marie-Claire Villeval, 2007.
"Tax Evasion and Social Interactions,"
- Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix & Marie-Claire Villeval, 2004. "Tax Evasion and Social Interactions," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-61, CIRANO.
- Marie-Claire Villeval & Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix, 2005. "Tax Evasion and Social Interactions," Working Papers 0410, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix & Marie-Claire Villeval, 2004. "Tax Evasion and Social Interactions," Post-Print halshs-00180104, HAL.
- Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy & Villeval, Marie Claire, 2004. "Tax Evasion and Social Interactions," IZA Discussion Papers 1359, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix & Marie-Claire Villeval, 2004. "Tax Evasion and Social Interactions," Cahiers de recherche 0432, CIRPEE.
- Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix & Marie-Claire Villeval, 2004. "Tax Evasion and Social Interactions," Post-Print halshs-00175016, HAL.
- Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy & Montmarquette, Claude, 1997.
"Are Underground Workers More Likely to be Underground Consumers?,"
Cahiers de recherche
9710, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy & Montmarquette, Claude, 2000. "Are Underground Workers More Likely to be Underground Consumers?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(466), pages 838-60, October.
- Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix & Claude Montmarquette, 1997. "Are Underground Workers More Likely To Be Underground Consumers?," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-28, CIRANO.
- Charles F. Manski, 2000.
"Economic Analysis of Social Interactions,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 115-136, Summer.
- Sabine Bernabè & Marco Stampini, 2009. "Labour mobility during transition," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 17(2), pages 377-409, 04.
- Lacroix, G. & Fortin, B., 1991.
"Utility-Based Estimation of Labor Supply Functions in the Regular and Irregular Sectors,"
Cahiers de recherche
9020, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Lacroix, Guy & Fortin, Bernard, 1992. "Utility-Based Estimation of Labour Supply Functions in the Regular and Irregular Sectors," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(415), pages 1407-22, November.
- Cowell, F A, 1990. "Tax Sheltering and the Cost of Evasion," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(1), pages 231-43, January.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Charles F. Manski, 1993. "Identification of Endogenous Social Effects: The Reflection Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(3), pages 531-542.
- Fortin, B. & Lacroix, G., 1991. "The Marginal Cost of Public Funds in the Presence of an Irregular Sector: An Empirical Investigation," Papers 9129, Laval - Recherche en Energie.
- Edgar L. Feige, 2003. "Underground Activity And Institutional Change: Productive, Protective And Predatory Behavior In Transition Economies," Development and Comp Systems 0305001, EconWPA.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Charemza, Wojciech W., 1990. "Parallel markets, excess demand and virtual prices : An empirical approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(2-3), pages 331-339, May.
- Schneider, Friedrich G., 2007. "Shadow Economies and Corruption All Over the World: New Estimates for 145 Countries," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 1, pages 1-66.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00449447. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.