The economic analysis of social norms: A reappraisal of Hayek's legacy
This paper is organized as follows : First we show that the reference to the notion of group selection is coherent with the other parts of Hayek's thought. Second we develop the idea that recent works in terms of the emergence and evolution of social norms corroborate in part Hayek's theses in this domain. Finally we put to the fore some drawbacks in Hayek's approach and propose means to solve them.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Publication status:||Published in Review of Austrian Economics, Springer Verlag, 2009, 22 (3), pp.259-279. <10.1007/s11138-009-0083-7>|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00346389|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John C. Harsanyi & Reinhard Selten, 1988. "A General Theory of Equilibrium Selection in Games," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262582384, July.
- Richard Arena & Agnès Festré, 2002.
"Connaissance et croyances en économie. L'exemple de la tradition autrichienne,"
Revue d'économie politique,
Dalloz, vol. 112(5), pages 635-657.
- Richard Arena & Agnès Festré, 2002. "Connaissance et croyances en économie : l'exemple de la tradition autrichienne," Post-Print halshs-00274554, HAL.
- Arthur, W Brian, 1989. "Competing Technologies, Increasing Returns, and Lock-In by Historical Events," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(394), pages 116-131, March.
- Bernheim, B Douglas, 1994. "A Theory of Conformity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(5), pages 841-877, October.
- Hodgson, Geoffrey M, 1992. "Thorstein Veblen and Post-Darwinian Economics," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 285-301, September.
- Adam Gifford, 2007. "The knowledge problem, determinism, and The Sensory Order," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer;Society for the Development of Austrian Economics, vol. 20(4), pages 269-291, December.
- Simon Gachter & Ernst Fehr, 2000. "Cooperation and Punishment in Public Goods Experiments," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 980-994, September.
- Ernst Fehr & Simon Gaechter, "undated". "Cooperation and Punishment in Public Goods Experiments," IEW - Working Papers 010, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Ernst Fehr & Simon Gaechter, 1999. "Cooperation and Punishment in Public Goods Experiments," CESifo Working Paper Series 183, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ragip Ege, 1992. "Émergence du marché concurrentiel et évolutionnisme chez Hayek," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 43(6), pages 1007-1036.
- Ulrich Witt, 2006. "Evolutionary Economics," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2006-05, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Jeffery Carpenter & Samuel Bowles & Herbert Gintis, 2006. "Mutual Monitoring in Teams: Theory and Experimental Evidence on the Importance of Reciprocity," Middlebury College Working Paper Series 0608, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- Carpenter, Jeffrey P. & Bowles, Samuel & Gintis, Herbert, 2006. "Mutual Monitoring in Teams: Theory and Experimental Evidence on the Importance of Reciprocity," IZA Discussion Papers 2106, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sethi, Rajiv & Somanathan, E, 1996. "The Evolution of Social Norms in Common Property Resource Use," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 766-788, September.
- Leonid Hurwicz, 1994. "Economic design, adjustment processes, mechanisms, and institutions," Review of Economic Design, Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 1(1), pages 1-14, December.
- Daniel Kahneman, 2003. "Maps of Bounded Rationality: Psychology for Behavioral Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1449-1475, December.
- Birner Jack, 1995. "The surprising place of cognitive psychology in the work of F.A. Hayek," Research Memorandum 019, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Pierre Garrouste, 1999. "Le problème de la cohérence de l'évolutionnisme hayékien," Post-Print halshs-00274290, HAL.
- Garrouste, Pierre, 1994. "Menger and Hayek on Institutions: Continuity and Discontinuity," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(02), pages 270-291, September.
- Luciano Andreozzi, 2005. "Hayek Reads the Literature on the Emergence of Norms," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 227-247, 09.
- Luciano Andreozzi, 2005. "Hayek Reads the Literature on the Emergence of Norms," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2005-03, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Hodgson, Geoffrey M., 1991. "Hayek's Theory of Cultural Evolution: An Evaluation in the Light of Vanberg's Critique," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(01), pages 67-82, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)