The IMF and the Liberalization of Capital Flows
We evaluate the claim that the International Monetary Fund precipitated financial crises during the 1990s by pressuring countries to liberalize their capital accounts prematurely. Using data from a panel of developing economies from 1982-98, we examine whether the changes in the regime governing capital flows took place during participation in IMF programs. We find evidence that IMF program participation is correlated with capital account liberalization episodes during the 1990s. We verify the robustness of our results using alternative indicators of capital account openness. To determine whether decontrol was premature, we compare the economic and financial characteristics of countries that decontrolled during IMF programs with those of countries who did so independently and find some evidence of IMF-led premature liberalizations.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.economics.hawaii.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.economics.hawaii.edu/research/working.html Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leonardo Bartolini & Allan Drazen, 1996.
"Capital Account Liberalization as a Signal,"
NBER Working Papers
5725, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125518 is not listed on IDEAS
- Reuven Glick & Michael Hutchison, 2002.
"Capital controls and exchange rate instability in developing economies,"
Pacific Basin Working Paper Series
2000-05, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Glick, Reuven & Hutchison, Michael, 2005. "Capital controls and exchange rate instability in developing economies," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 387-412, April.
- Honig, Adam, 2008. "Do improvements in government quality necessarily reduce the incidence of costly sudden stops?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 360-373, March.
- Ashoka Mody & Abdul Abiad, 2005.
"Financial Reform; What Shakes It? What Shapes It?,"
IMF Economic Issues
35, International Monetary Fund.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Hiro Ito, 2005.
"What Matters for Financial Development? Capital Controls, Institutions, and Interactions,"
NBER Working Papers
11370, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chinn, Menzie D. & Ito, Hiro, 2006. "What matters for financial development? Capital controls, institutions, and interactions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 163-192, October.
- Chinn, Menzie David & Ito, Hiro, 2005. "What Matters for Financial Development? Capital Controls, Institutions, and Interactions," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5pv1j341, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Chinn, Menzie David & Ito, Hiro, 2005. "What Matters for Financial Development? Capital Controls, Institutions, and Interactions," Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series qt5pv1j341, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Chinn,M.D. & Ito,H., 2005. "What matters for financial development? : capital controls, institutions, and interactions," Working papers 4, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Michael M. Hutchison & Ilan Noy & Lidan Wang, 2007.
"Fiscal and Monetary Policies and the Cost of Sudden Stops,"
200724, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Hutchison, Michael M. & Noy, Ilan & Wang, Lidan, 2010. "Fiscal and monetary policies and the cost of sudden stops," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 973-987, October.
- Conway, Patrick, 1994. "IMF lending programs: Participation and impact," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 365-391, December.
- Haggard, Stephan & Maxfield, Sylvia, 1996. "The political economy of financial internationalization in the developing world," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 50(01), pages 35-68, December.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1999. "A new database on financial development and structure," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2146, The World Bank.
- Jacques Miniane, 2004. "A New Set of Measures on Capital Account Restrictions," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(2), pages 4.
- Vittorio Grilli & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 1995.
"Economic Effects and Structural Determinants of Capital Controls,"
IMF Working Papers
95/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Vittorio Grilli & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 1995. "Economic Effects and Structural Determinants of Capital Controls," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(3), pages 517-551, September.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Kenneth Rogoff & Eswar Prasad & Shang-Jin Wei, 2003. "Effects of Financial Globalization on Developing Countries; Some Empirical Evidence," IMF Occasional Papers 220, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hai:wpaper:200706. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Web Technician)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.