Institutions, organizations and space: forms of proximity (In French)
Opposing heterogeneous agents, imposing choices, and making divergent interests compatible, are all political prerequisites for agent coordination. Although these political prerequisites are not entirely ignored in proximity literature, such literature does tend to insist, for the most part, on cognitive perspective: the biggest beneficial effect of proximity is that of facilitating knowledge-sharing between agents. The principal objective of this paper is to propose both political and cognitive conceptions of proximity. In order to do so, we use the concept of institution, to examine the relations between these concepts - proximity and institution. We obtain one principal result: proximity is an institutional fact, which itself divides up two sub-categories, organizational and geographical proximity. Organizational proximity refers to the cognitive and political coordination of agents. Geographical proximity between actors is a latent resource. This resource would only be activated if the agents share organizational proximity. This form of proximity means that actors integrate cognitive community, i.e. reach memory of organization made up of rules and routines, and integrate political community, i.e. take place in power structure.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)188.8.131.52.75
Fax: +33 (0)184.108.40.206.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andre Torre, 2008. "On the Role Played by Temporary Geographical Proximity in Knowledge Transmission," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 869-889.
- Christophe Carrincazeaux & Michel Grossetti & Damien Talbot, 2008.
"Clusters, Proximities and Networks,"
European Planning Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(5), pages 613-616, June.
- Christophe Carrincazeaux & Michel Grossetti & Damien Talbot, 2008. "Clusters, proximities and networks," Post-Print hal-00401121, HAL.
- Geoffrey Hodgson & Thorbjørn Knudsen, 2004. "The firm as an interactor: firms as vehicles for habits and routines," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 281-307, 07.
- O. Bouba-Olga & Christophe Carrincazeaux & Marie Coris, 2008. "La proximité : 15 ans déjà !," Post-Print hal-00254915, HAL.
- Christophe Carrincazeaux & Yannick Lung & JÃ©rôme Vicente, 2007. "The Scientific Trajectory of the French School of Proximity: Interaction- and Institution-based Approaches to Regional Innovation Systems," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(5), pages 617-628, December.
- Christophe Carrincazeaux & Yannick Lung & Jérôme Vicente, 2008. "The scientific trajectory of the French school of proximity: Interaction and Institution-based approaches to Regional Innovation Systems," Post-Print hal-00157671, HAL.
- Olivier Bouba-Olga & Michel Grossetti, 2008. "Socio-économie de proximité," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Armand Colin, vol. 0(3), pages 311-328.
- Olivier Bouba-Olga & Michel Grossetti, 2008. "Socio-économie de proximité," Post-Print hal-00458508, HAL.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/755 is not listed on IDEAS
- Damien Talbot, 2010. "La dimension politique dans l'approche de la proximité," Géographie, économie, société, Lavoisier, vol. 12(2), pages 125-144.
- Damien Talbot, 2010. "La dimension politique dans l'approche de la proximité," Post-Print hal-00546061, HAL.
- Markus C. Becker & Nathalie Lazaric & Richard R. Nelson & Sidney G. Winter, 2005. "Applying organizational routines in understanding organizational change," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(5), pages 775-791, October.
- Markus Becker & Nathalie Lazaric & Richard Nelson & Sidney G. Winter, 2005. "Applying Organizational Routines in understanding organizational change," Post-Print hal-00457068, HAL.
- Richard R. Nelson, 1995. "Recent Evolutionary Theorizing about Economic Change," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 48-90, March.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/651 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hodgson, Geoffrey M., 2004. "Reclaiming habit for institutional economics," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 651-660, October.
- Bénédicte Reynaud, 2001. "« Suivre des règles » dans les organisations," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 97(1), pages 53-68.
- Hodgson, Geoffrey M, 1998. "On the Evolution of Thorstein Veblen's Evolutionary Economics," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(4), pages 415-431, July.
- Antoine Blanc & Isabelle Huault, 2010. "Reproduction de l'ordre institutionnel face à l'incertitude," Post-Print halshs-00506566, HAL.
- Frederic Rychen & Jean-Benoit Zimmermann, 2008. "Clusters in the Global Knowledge-based Economy: Knowledge Gatekeepers and Temporary Proximity," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 767-776.
- Andre Torre & Alain Rallet, 2005. "Proximity and Localization," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 47-59.
- Commons, John R., 1931. "Institutional Economics," History of Economic Thought Articles, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 21, pages 648-657.
- G. Hodgson., 2007. "What Are Institutions?," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 8.
- Damien Talbot, 2008. "Les institutions créatrices de proximités. Institutions as creators of proximities," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Armand Colin, vol. 0(3), pages 289-310.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/9796 is not listed on IDEAS
- Searle, John R., 2005. "What is an institution?," Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 1-22, June.
- Yvonne Giordano & Groleau Carole, 2004. "La théorie de la structuration appliquée aux organisations : un regard sur l'institutionnalisation," Post-Print halshs-00439579, HAL.
- Damien Talbot & Thierry Kirat, 2005. "Proximité et Institutions : nouveaux éclairages," Post-Print hal-00383264, HAL. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2011-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.