The Decision-Making Process of Relocations: What, Where, How and Why?
In the recent years, the qualitative evolution of relocations (from low cost offshoring to more technological intensive relocations) became a new concern in the political debate. Focusing these new trends, the aim of this paper is to better understand relocations from the firms’ point of view within their regional and sectoral contexts. In the first part, we reformulate relocations by adopting a broad definition of them, considered as a specific dimension of firms’ mobility. Considering that relocation is a temporal and a decision-making process we then cross three analytical dimensions (referring to three analytical spaces): relocations as a productive problem (“relational space” for coordination); relocations in a territorial dimension (“geographical space”) and relocations as a complex decision process (“political space”). The relational space for coordination is analysed in the second part through the concepts of the economics of proximity. We then cross this approach with an institutional conception of the firm by articulating the four main relations at the firm and sectoral levels (financial, labour, commercial and purchasing relations). The grid is finally applied to the specific case of Aquitaine in order to identify the conditions of anchoring and mobility of firms in space.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 (0)188.8.131.52.75
Fax: +33 (0)184.108.40.206.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markusen, James R., 2002.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James R. Markusen, 2004. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, June.
- Pol Antràs, 2003.
"Firms, Contracts, and Trade Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
9740, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Masahisa Fujita & Paul Krugman, 2003.
"The new economic geography: Past, present and the future,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 139-164, October.
- Fujita , Masahisa & Krugman, Paul, 2004. "The new economic geography: Past, present and the future," INVESTIGACIONES REGIONALES - Journal of REGIONAL RESEARCH, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 4, pages 177-206.
- Masahisa Fujita & Paul Krugman, 2003. "The new economic geography: Past, present and the future," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 139-164, October.
- Hart, Oliver & Moore, John, 1990.
"Property Rights and the Nature of the Firm,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(6), pages 1119-58, December.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1988. "Property Rights and the Nature of the Firm," Working papers 495, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hart, Oliver D. & Moore, John, 1990. "Property Rights and the Nature of the Firm," Scholarly Articles 3448675, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John H Dunning, 2009. "Location and the multinational enterprise: John Dunning's thoughts on receiving the Journal of International Business Studies 2008 Decade Award," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(1), pages 20-34, January.
- Antràs, Pol & Helpman, Elhanan, 2004.
CEPR Discussion Papers
4170, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pol Antràs & Elhanan Helpman, 2003. "Global Sourcing," NBER Working Papers 10082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antras, Pol & Helpman, Elhanan, 2004. "Global Sourcing," Scholarly Articles 3196327, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Pol Antras & Elhanan Helpman, 2003. "Global Sourcing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2005, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd & Frijns, Bart, 2010. "A cultural explanation of the foreign bias in international asset allocation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2121-2131, September.
- Marie Coris & A. Rallet, 2008. "Les pays émergents à la conquête des marchés mondiaux," Post-Print hal-00254876, HAL.
- Andre Torre, 2008. "On the Role Played by Temporary Geographical Proximity in Knowledge Transmission," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 869-889.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jerome Vicente & Rapha�l Suire, 2007. "Informational Cascades versus Network Externalities in Locational Choice: Evidence of 'ICT Clusters' Formation and Stability," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(2), pages 173-184.
- Andre Torre & Alain Rallet, 2005. "Proximity and Localization," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 47-59.
- Christophe Carrincazeaux & Marie Coris, 2011. "Proximity and Innovation," Chapters, in: Handbook of Regional Innovation and Growth, chapter 20 Edward Elgar.
- Vincent Frigant, 2005. "Vanishing hand versus Systems integrators - Une revue de la littérature sur l'impact organisationnel de la modularité," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 109(1), pages 29-52.
- Christophe Carrincazeaux & Yannick Lung & Jér�me Vicente, 2007. "The Scientific Trajectory of the French School of Proximity: Interaction- and Institution-based Approaches to Regional Innovation Systems," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(5), pages 617-628, December.
- Andr Torre Shaw & Jean-Pierre Gilly, 2000. "On the Analytical Dimension of Proximity Dynamics," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 169-180.
- Breschi, Stefano & Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 2000. "Technological Regimes and Schumpeterian Patterns of Innovation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(463), pages 388-410, April.
- Mouhoud, El Mouhoub, 2011.
"Mondialisation et délocalisation des entreprises,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/10636, Paris Dauphine University.
- Frederic Rychen & Jean-Benoit Zimmermann, 2008. "Clusters in the Global Knowledge-based Economy: Knowledge Gatekeepers and Temporary Proximity," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 767-776.
- repec:hrv:faseco:4784029 is not listed on IDEAS
- O. Bouba-Olga & Christophe Carrincazeaux & Marie Coris, 2008. "La proximité : 15 ans déjà !," Post-Print hal-00254915, HAL.
- Arjen H L Slangen & Sjoerd Beugelsdijk, 2010. "The impact of institutional hazards on foreign multinational activity: A contingency perspective," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(6), pages 980-995, August.
- Sjoerd Beugelsdijk & Philip McCann & Ram Mudambi, 2010. "Introduction: Place, space and organization-- economic geography and the multinational enterprise," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 485-493, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2012-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.