The Scientific Trajectory of the French School of Proximity: Interaction- and Institution-based Approaches to Regional Innovation Systems
The multi-faceted concept of proximity is often used nowadays in many theoretical and empirical analyses. It mainly originates in some French regional scientists' attempt, in the early 1990s, to develop new conceptual and methodological avenues with a view to the study of the industrial and spatial dynamics. The wide diffusion of the resulting research findings is explained by the fact that these scholars realized early on that it was in their interest to collectively structure their works through the setting-up of a research group. The present paper sets out to outline the scientific and institutional trajectories of the French group “Proximity Dynamics”, while underlining the progressive broadening of its scientific and institutional dimensions, as well as the main theoretical research fields these trajectories have permitted to investigate.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CEPS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CEPS20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Damien Talbot & Thierry Kirat, 2005. "Proximité et Institutions : nouveaux éclairages," Post-Print hal-00383264, HAL.
- André Torre & Delphine Gallaud, 2004. "Geographical proximity and circulation of knowledge through inter-firm cooperation," ERSA conference papers ersa04p35, European Regional Science Association.
- Jérome VICENTE (LEREPS-GRES) & Yan Dalla PRIA (CSO – CNRS) & Raphaël SUIRE (CREM – CNRS), 2006. "The Ambivalent Role of Mimetic Behaviors in Proximity Dynamics: Evidences on the French “Silicon Sentier”," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2006-02, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Olivier BROSSARD (LEREPS-GRES) & Jérôme VICENTE (LEREPS-GRES), 2007. "Cognitive & Relational Distance in Alliance Networks: Evidence on the Knowledge Value Chain in the European ICT Sector," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2007-18, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Damien Talbot, 2007. "Institutions as creators of proximities," Post-Print hal-00153258, HAL.
- Andre Torre & Alain Rallet, 2005. "Proximity and Localization," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 47-59.
- Andr Torre Shaw & Jean-Pierre Gilly, 2000. "On the Analytical Dimension of Proximity Dynamics," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 169-180.
- Christophe Carrincazeaux & Yannick Lung, 2005.
"Configurations régionales des dynamiques d'innovation et performances des régions françaises,"
- Christophe Carrincazeaux & Yannick Lung, 2004. "Configurations régionales des dynamiques d'innovation et performances des régions françaises," Post-Print hal-00185972, HAL.
- Vincent Frigant & Yannick Lung, 2002.
"Geographical Proximity and Supplying Relationships in Modular Production,"
- Vincent Frigant, 2002. "Geographical proximity and supplying relationships in modular production," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 742-755, December.
- Ron A. Boschma & Jan G. Lambooy, 1999. "Evolutionary economics and economic geography," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 411-429.
- Marie Coris & Christophe Carrincazeaux, 2011.
"Proximity and Innovation,"
- Christophe CARRINCAZEAUX (E3I-IFReDE-GRES) & Frédéric GASCHET (IERSO-IFReDE-GRES), 2006.
"Knowledge and the diversity of innovation systems: a comparative analysis of European regions,"
Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009)
2006-29, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Christophe Carrincazeaux & Frédéric Gaschet, 2006. "Knowledge and the diversity of innovation systems: a comparative analysis of European regions," Post-Print hal-00257384, HAL.
- Christophe Carrincazeaux & Frédéric Gaschet, 2006. "Knowledge and the diversity of innovation systems: a comparative analysis of European regions," Post-Print hal-00221405, HAL.
- Marie Coris & Yannick Lung, 2005.
"Les communautés virtuelles : la coordination sans proximité ? Les fondements de la coopération au sein des communautés du logiciel libre,"
Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine,
Armand Colin, vol. 0(3), pages 397-420.
- Marie Coris & Yannick Lung, 2005. "Les communautés virtuelles : la coordination sans proximité ? Les fondements de la coopération au sein des communautés du logiciel libre," Post-Print hal-00294307, HAL.
- Jerome Vicente & Raphaël Suire, 2007. "Informational Cascades versus Network Externalities in Locational Choice: Evidence of 'ICT Clusters' Formation and Stability," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(2), pages 173-184.
- Ron Boschma & Ron Martin, 2007. "Editorial: Constructing an evolutionary economic geography," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(5), pages 537-548, September.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- Cooke, Philip, 2001. "Regional Innovation Systems, Clusters, and the Knowledge Economy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 945-74, December.
- Colletis, G. & Gilly, J.-P. & Leroux, I. & Pecqueur, B. & Perrat, j. & Rychen, F. & Zimmermann, J.-B., 1999. "Construction territoriale et dynamiques productives," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a12, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- JÃ©rÃ´me Vicente & Yan Dalla Pria & RaphaÃ«l Suire, 2007. "The Ambivalent Role of Mimetic Behavior in Proximity Dynamics: Evidence from the French â€˜Silicon Sentierâ€™," Chapters, in: Knowledge Externalities, Innovation Clusters and Regional Development, chapter 3 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Frederic Rychen & Jean-Benoit Zimmermann, 2008. "Clusters in the Global Knowledge-based Economy: Knowledge Gatekeepers and Temporary Proximity," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 767-776.
- Asheim, Bjorn T & Isaksen, Arne, 2002. "Regional Innovation Systems: The Integration of Local 'Sticky' and Global 'Ubiquitous' Knowledge," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 77-86, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eurpls:v:16:y:2007:i:5:p:617-628. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.