The Scientific Trajectory of the French School of Proximity: Interaction- and Institution-based Approaches to Regional Innovation Systems
The multi-faceted concept of proximity is often used nowadays in many theoretical and empirical analyses. It mainly originates in some French regional scientists' attempt, in the early 1990s, to develop new conceptual and methodological avenues with a view to the study of the industrial and spatial dynamics. The wide diffusion of the resulting research findings is explained by the fact that these scholars realized early on that it was in their interest to collectively structure their works through the setting-up of a research group. The present paper sets out to outline the scientific and institutional trajectories of the French group “Proximity Dynamics”, while underlining the progressive broadening of its scientific and institutional dimensions, as well as the main theoretical research fields these trajectories have permitted to investigate.
Volume (Year): 16 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CEPS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CEPS20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jérome VICENTE (LEREPS-GRES) & Yan Dalla PRIA (CSO – CNRS) & Raphaël SUIRE (CREM – CNRS), 2006. "The Ambivalent Role of Mimetic Behaviors in Proximity Dynamics: Evidences on the French “Silicon Sentier”," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2006-02, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Andre Torre & Alain Rallet, 2005. "Proximity and Localization," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 47-59.
- Ron Boschma & Ron Martin, 2007. "Editorial: Constructing an evolutionary economic geography," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(5), pages 537-548, September.
- Marie Coris & Yannick Lung, 2005. "Les communautés virtuelles : la coordination sans proximité ? Les fondements de la coopération au sein des communautés du logiciel libre," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Armand Colin, vol. 0(3), pages 397-420.
- Christophe Carrincazeaux & Marie Coris, 2011. "Proximity and Innovation," Chapters, in: Handbook of Regional Innovation and Growth, chapter 20 Edward Elgar.
- Cooke, Philip, 2001. "Regional Innovation Systems, Clusters, and the Knowledge Economy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 945-74, December.
- Ron A. Boschma & Jan G. Lambooy, 1999. "Evolutionary economics and economic geography," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 411-429.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- Jerome Vicente & Rapha�l Suire, 2007. "Informational Cascades versus Network Externalities in Locational Choice: Evidence of 'ICT Clusters' Formation and Stability," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(2), pages 173-184.
- Christophe CARRINCAZEAUX (E3I-IFReDE-GRES) & Frédéric GASCHET (IERSO-IFReDE-GRES), 2006. "Knowledge and the diversity of innovation systems: a comparative analysis of European regions," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2006-29, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Frederic Rychen & Jean-Benoit Zimmermann, 2008. "Clusters in the Global Knowledge-based Economy: Knowledge Gatekeepers and Temporary Proximity," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 767-776.
- JÃ©rÃ´me Vicente & Yan Dalla Pria & RaphaÃ«l Suire, 2007. "The Ambivalent Role of Mimetic Behavior in Proximity Dynamics: Evidence from the French â€˜Silicon Sentierâ€™," Chapters, in: Knowledge Externalities, Innovation Clusters and Regional Development, chapter 3 Edward Elgar.
- Colletis, G. & Gilly, J.-P. & Leroux, I. & Pecqueur, B. & Perrat, j. & Rychen, F. & Zimmermann, J.-B., 1999. "Construction territoriale et dynamiques productives," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 99a12, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Asheim, Bjorn T & Isaksen, Arne, 2002. " Regional Innovation Systems: The Integration of Local 'Sticky' and Global 'Ubiquitous' Knowledge," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 77-86, January.
- Vincent Frigant, 2002. "Geographical proximity and supplying relationships in modular production," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 742-755, December.
- Andr Torre Shaw & Jean-Pierre Gilly, 2000. "On the Analytical Dimension of Proximity Dynamics," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 169-180.
- André Torre & Delphine Gallaud, 2004. "Geographical proximity and circulation of knowledge through inter-firm cooperation," ERSA conference papers ersa04p35, European Regional Science Association.
- Olivier BROSSARD (LEREPS-GRES) & Jérôme VICENTE (LEREPS-GRES), 2007. "Cognitive & Relational Distance in Alliance Networks: Evidence on the Knowledge Value Chain in the European ICT Sector," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2007-18, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eurpls:v:16:y:2007:i:5:p:617-628. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.