Spatial distribution of innovative activities and economic performances: A geographical-friendly model
The paper identifies 5 stylized facts to characterize the geographic distribution of innovative activities in France (mainly its high concentration in the region Ile-de-France). It proposes an original model of regional growth in a knowledge-based economy considering the density of RD activities and the connectivity to the other regions. The model is computed and run into 2 different configurations: equidistribution and overconcentration. The simulations’ results lead to the conclusion that the equidistribution configuration is Pareto-efficient (higher growth rate of the national economy, lower income spatial inequalities) compared to the overconcentration. Policy implications are discussed in conclusion.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 (0)220.127.116.11.75
Fax: +33 (0)18.104.22.168.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Miren Lafourcade & Jacques-François Thisse & Jean-Claude Toutain, 2008.
"The Rise And Fall Of Spatial Inequalities In France: A Long-Run Perspective,"
PSE Working Papers
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Lafourcade, Miren & Thisse, Jacques-François & Toutain, Jean-Claude, 2011. "The rise and fall of spatial inequalities in France: A long-run perspective," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 243-271, April.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Lafourcade, Miren & Thisse, Jacques-François & Toutain, Jean-Claude, 2008. "The Rise and Fall of Spatial Inequalities in France: a Long-Run Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 7017, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Miren Lafourcade & Jacques-François Thisse & Jean-Claude Toutain, 2008. "The rise and fall of spatial inequalities in France: A long-run perspective," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586214, HAL.
- Martin, Philippe & I.P. Ottaviano, Gianmarco, 1999.
"Growing locations: Industry location in a model of endogenous growth,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 281-302, February.
- Martin, Philippe & Ottaviano, Gianmarco, 1996. "Growing Locations: Industry Location in a Model of Endogenous Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1523, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Koen Frenken & Frank Van Oort & Thijs Verburg, 2007. "Related Variety, Unrelated Variety and Regional Economic Growth," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 685-697.
- Nadine Massard & Caroline Mehier, 2009. "Proximity and Innovation through an 'Accessibility to Knowledge' Lens," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(1), pages 77-88.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- Corinne Autant-Bernard, 2001. "The Geography Of Knowledge Spillovers And Technological Proximity," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 237-254.
- Cristiano Antonelli & Pier Paolo Patrucco & Francesco Quatraro, 2008.
"The governance of localized knowledge externalities,"
International Review of Applied Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 479-498.
- Antonelli, Cristiano & Patrucco, Pier Paolo & Quatraro, Francesco, 2008. "The governance of localized knowledge externalities," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200801, University of Turin.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00361398 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christophe CARRINCAZEAUX (E3I-IFReDE-GRES) & Frédéric GASCHET (IERSO-IFReDE-GRES), 2006. "Knowledge and the diversity of innovation systems: a comparative analysis of European regions," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2006-29, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Christophe Carrincazeaux & Marie Coris, 2011. "Proximity and Innovation," Chapters, in: Handbook of Regional Innovation and Growth, chapter 20 Edward Elgar.
- Amable, Bruno, 2003. "The Diversity of Modern Capitalism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199261147, March.
- Denis Carre, 2006. "Les performances paradoxales de l'économie de l'Île-de-France : essai d'interprétation," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Armand Colin, vol. 0(4), pages 575-595.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2010-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.