Conceptualizing the Role of Geographical Proximity in Project Based R&D Networks: A Literature Survey
Empirical evidence shows that research is being carried out more in cooperation or in collaboration with others, and the networks described by these collaborative research activities are becoming more and more complex. This phenomenon brings about new strands of research questions and opens up a different research context in the area of geography of innovation. The recent set of literature addressing these new issues shows a high degree of variation in terms of focus, approaches and methodology. Hence to elucidate the relationship between networks and geography it is crucial to have a review them. In this regard, this study focuses on a particular type of networks, namely, project based R&D networks and aims at describing the state-of-the-art in explaining the specificity of geography in formation and evolution of such networks. Towards this aim, we framed the discussion along four lenses: the specificity of geography in partner choice, in successful execution of the collaboration, in the resulting innovation performance both at the organizational and regional level, and the spatio-temporal evolution of networks. The overview provided by the survey is suggestive regarding the theorization of geography and network relationship, and informative regarding the issues demanding further research effort, and promising extensions.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Uwe Cantner & Andreas Meder, 2007. "Technological proximity and the choice of cooperation partner," Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 45-65, June.
- Hoekman, Jarno & Frenken, Koen & Tijssen, Robert J.W., 2010. "Research collaboration at a distance: Changing spatial patterns of scientific collaboration within Europe," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 662-673, June.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Sanjeev Goyal & Marco J. van der Leij, 2010.
"Matching and Network Effects,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 8(1), pages 203-231, 03.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Marco van der Leij & Sanjeev Goyal, 2009. "Matching and network effects," Working Papers. Serie AD 2009-15, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marcel Fafchamps & Marco J. van der Leij, 2006. "Matching and Network Effects," Economics Discussion Papers 611, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Cowan, Robin & Jonard, Nicolas, 2004.
"Network structure and the diffusion of knowledge,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1557-1575, June.
- Corinne Autant-Bernard, 2001. "The Geography Of Knowledge Spillovers And Technological Proximity," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 237-254.
- Bruno Cassiman & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2002. "R&D Cooperation and Spillovers: Some Empirical Evidence from Belgium," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 1169-1184, September.
- Robert P. Gilles & Cathleen Johnson, 2000. "original papers : Spatial social networks," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 273-299.
- Luc Anselin, 2000. "Geographical Spillovers and University Research: A Spatial EconometricPerspective," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(4), pages 501-515.
- Nadine Massard & Caroline Mehier, 2009. "Proximity and Innovation through an 'Accessibility to Knowledge' Lens," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(1), pages 77-88.
- Corinne Autant-Bernard & Jean-Pascal Guironnet & Nadine Massard, 2010.
"The determinants of innovation adoption,"
- Manfred Paier & Thomas Scherngell, 2011. "Determinants of Collaboration in European R&D Networks: Empirical Evidence from a Discrete Choice Model," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 89-104.
- Robin Cowan & Nicolas Jonard, 2007.
"Structural holes, innovation and the distribution of ideas,"
Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination,
Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 93-110, December.
- Cowan, Robin & Jonard, Nicolas, 2006. "Structural Holes, Innovation and the Distribution of Ideas," MERIT Working Papers 039, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Jonathon N. Cummings, 2004. "Work Groups, Structural Diversity, and Knowledge Sharing in a Global Organization," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(3), pages 352-364, March.
- Ron Boschma & Koen Frenken, 2009.
"The Spatial Evolution of Innovation Networks: A Proximity Perspective,"
Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG)
0905, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Jun 2009.
- Ron Boschma & Koen Frenken, 2010. "The Spatial Evolution of Innovation Networks: A Proximity Perspective," Chapters, in: The Handbook of Evolutionary Economic Geography, chapter 5 Edward Elgar.
- Brouwer, Erik & Kleinknecht, Alfred, 1999. "Innovative output, and a firm's propensity to patent.: An exploration of CIS micro data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 615-624, August.
- Jarno Hoekman & Koen Frenken & Frank van Oort, 2008.
"The geography of collaborative knowledge production in Europe,"
KITeS Working Papers
214, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Feb 2008.
- Jarno Hoekman & Koen Frenken & Frank Oort, 2009. "The geography of collaborative knowledge production in Europe," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 721-738, September.
- Sandra Vinciguerra & Koen Frenken & Marco Valente, 2010.
"The Geography of Internet Infrastructure: An evolutionary simulation approach based on preferential attachment,"
Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG)
1006, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Apr 2010.
- Sandra Vinciguerra & Koen Frenken & Marco Valente, 2010. "The Geography of Internet Infrastructure: An Evolutionary Simulation Approach Based on Preferential Attachment," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 47(9), pages 1969-1984, August.
- Hagedoorn, John, 2002. "Inter-firm R&D partnerships: an overview of major trends and patterns since 1960," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 477-492, May.
- Roderik Ponds & Frank van Oort & Koen Frenken, 2007. "The geographical and institutional proximity of research collaboration," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(3), pages 423-443, 08.
- Weterings, Anet & Boschma, Ron, 2009. "Does spatial proximity to customers matter for innovative performance?: Evidence from the Dutch software sector," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 746-755, June.
- Rosina Moreno & Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 2004.
"Spatial spillovers and innovation activity in European regions,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa04p588, European Regional Science Association.
- Rosina Moreno & Raffaele Paci & Stefano Usai, 2005. "Spatial spillovers and innovation activity in European regions," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 37(10), pages 1793-1812, October.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- Nicolas CARAYOL & Pascale ROUX, 2007. "The Strategic Formation of Interindividual Collaboration Networks. Evidence from Co-invention Patterns," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 87-88, pages 275-301.
- Asheim, Bjorn T. & Coenen, Lars, 2005. "Knowledge bases and regional innovation systems: Comparing Nordic clusters," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1173-1190, October.
- Wolfgang Becker & Juergen Dietz, 2002.
"R&D Cooperation and Innovation Activities of Firms - Evidence for the German Manufacturing Industry -,"
Discussion Paper Series
222, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Becker, Wolfgang & Dietz, Jurgen, 2004. "R&D cooperation and innovation activities of firms--evidence for the German manufacturing industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 209-223, March.
- Mora-Valentin, Eva M. & Montoro-Sanchez, Angeles & Guerras-Martin, Luis A., 2004. "Determining factors in the success of R&D cooperative agreements between firms and research organizations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 17-40, January.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Asher Wolinsky, 1994.
"A Strategic Model of Social and Economic Networks,"
1098, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Stephane Lhuillery & Etienne Pfister, 2011. "Do Firms Know the Scope of their R&D Network? An Empirical Investigation of the Determinants of Network Awareness on French Survey Data," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 105-130.
- Pierre-Alexandre Balland, 2009. "Proximity and the Evolution of Collaboration Networks: Evidence from R&D Projects within the GNSS Industry," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 0914, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Oct 2009.
- Thomas Scherngell & Michael J. Barber, 2009. "Spatial interaction modelling of cross-region R&D collaborations: empirical evidence from the 5th EU framework programme," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(3), pages 531-546, 08.
- Roberta Capello, 1999. "Spatial Transfer of Knowledge in High Technology Milieux: Learning Versus Collective Learning Processes," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 353-365.
- Agrawal, Ajay & Kapur, Devesh & McHale, John, 2008. "How do spatial and social proximity influence knowledge flows? Evidence from patent data," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 258-269, September.
- Tom Broekel, 2010. "Do cooperative R&D subsidies stimulate regional innovation efficiency? Evidence from Germany," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1017, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Dec 2010.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Brian W. Rogers, 2007. "Meeting Strangers and Friends of Friends: How Random Are Social Networks?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 890-915, June.
- Attila Varga & Dimitrios Pontikakis & George Chorafakis, 2010. "Agglomeration and interregional network effects on European R&D productivity," Working Papers 2010/3, University of Pécs, Department of Economics and Regional Studies, revised Jun 2010.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa11p1616. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.