The geography of collaborative knowledge production in Europe
We analyse inter-regional research collaboration as measured by scientific publications and patents with multiple addresses, covering 1316 NUTS3 regions in 29 European countries. The estimates of gravity equations show the effects of geographical and institutional distance on research collaboration. We also find evidence for the existence of elite structures between excellence regions and between capital regions. The results suggest that current EU science policy to stimulate research collaboration is legitimate, but doubt the compatibility between EU science policy and EU cohesion policy.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:||Feb 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: via Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano - Italy|
Web page: http://www.kites.unibocconi.it/
|Order Information:|| Postal: E G E A - via R. Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano -Italy|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martijn Burger & Frank van Oort & Gert-Jan Linders, 2009.
"On the Specification of the Gravity Model of Trade: Zeros, Excess Zeros and Zero-inflated Estimation,"
Spatial Economic Analysis,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 167-190.
- Burger, M.J. & van Oort, F.G. & Linders, G.J.M., 2009. "On the Specification of the Gravity Model of Trade: Zeros, Excess Zeros and Zero-Inflated Estimation," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2009-003-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Koen Frenken, 2002. "A New Indicator of European Integration and an Application to Collaboration in Scientific Research," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(4), pages 345-361.
- Ejermo, Olof & Karlsson, Charlie, 2006.
"Interregional inventor networks as studied by patent coinventorships,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 412-430, April.
- Ejermo, Olof & Karlsson, Charlie, 2005. "Interregional Inventor Networks as Studied by Patent Co-inventorships," Papers in Innovation Studies 2005/11, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Frank Van Oort & Roderik Ponds & Koen Frenken, 2006. "The Geographical and Institutional Proximity of Scientific Collaboration Networks," ERSA conference papers ersa06p762, European Regional Science Association.
- Katz, J. Sylvan & Martin, Ben R., 1997. "What is research collaboration?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Lee Fleming & Koen Frenken, 2007.
"The Evolution Of Inventor Networks In The Silicon Valley And Boston Regions,"
Advances in Complex Systems (ACS),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(01), pages 53-71.
- Lee Fleming & Koen Frenken, 2006. "The evolution of inventor networks in the Silicon Valley and Boston regions," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 0609, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Jul 2006.
- Andre Torre & Alain Rallet, 2005. "Proximity and Localization," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 47-59.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cri:cespri:wp214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerio Sterzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.