Is Misallocation Higher in France than in the United States?
In this paper, we apply the Hsieh and Klenow (2009) methodology to French microdata on manufacturing firms to quantify the potential extent of intra-industry misallocation in France versus the United States. In contrast to what has been found for developing countries, such as China, India and some countries in Latin America, we do not find any sizeable ”efficiency gap” between France and the U.S. in the manufacturing industry. This new evidence is robust to a series of tests addressing both measurement and specification issues. In light of recent advances in the fields of productivity and misallocation, and in particular Bartelsman et al. (2013), we also discuss to what extent our new empirical findings challenge the established view on which continental European economies have higher input and output distortions than the American economy.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.gredeg.cnrs.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adriana Camacho & Emily Conover, 2010.
"Misallocation and Productivity in Colombia’s Manufacturing Industries,"
Research Department Publications
4654, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Adriana Camacho & Emily Conover, 2010. "Misallocation and Productivity in Colombia's Manufacturing Industries," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6783, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Nicholas Crafts, 2006. "Regulation and Productivity Performance," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(2), pages 186-202, Summer.
- George S Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992.
"The Dynamics Of Productivity In The Telecommunications Equipment Industry,"
92-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Olley, G Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 1996. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1263-97, November.
- G. Steven Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," NBER Working Papers 3977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Michel Qu�r�, 2008.
"Market selection along the firm life cycle,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 17(4), pages 753-777, August.
- Carlos Casacuberta & Néstor Gandelman, 2006.
"Protection, Openness and Factor Adjustment: Evidence from the manufacturing sector in Uruguay,"
Documentos de Trabajo (working papers)
1806, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Carlos Casacuberta & N�stor Gandelman, 2012. "Protection, Openness, and Factor Adjustment: Evidence from the Manufacturing Sector in Uruguay," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(3), pages 597 - 629.
- Casacuberta, Carlos & Gandelman, Nestor, 2006. "Protection, openness, and factor adjustment : evidence from the manufacturing sector in Uruguay," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3891, The World Bank.
- Bellone, Flora & Kiyota, Kozo & Matsuura, Toshiyuki & Musso, Patrick & Nesta, Lionel, 2014.
"International productivity gaps and the export status of firms: Evidence from France and Japan,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 56-74.
- Flora BELLONE & KIYOTA Kozo & MATSUURA Toshiyuki & Patrick MUSSO & Lionel NESTA, 2013. "International Productivity Gaps and the Export Status of Firms: Evidence from France and Japan," Discussion papers 13011, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Flora Bellone & Kozo Kiyota & Toshiyuki Matsuura & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta, 2012. "International Productivity Gaps and the Export Status of Firms: Evidence from France and Japan," GREDEG Working Papers 2012-07, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis, revised Jan 2014.
- Anita Wölfl & Isabelle Wanner & Tomasz Koźluk & Giuseppe Nicoletti, 2009. "Ten Years of Product Market Reform in OECD Countries: Insights from a Revised PMR Indicator," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 695, OECD Publishing.
- Kiyohiko G. Nishimura & Takanobu Nakajima & Kozo Kiyota, 2003. "Does Natural Selection Mechanism Still Work in Severe Recessions? --]Examination of the Japanese Economy in the 1990s ---," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-222, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J. Klenow, 2009.
"Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 124(4), pages 1403-1448, November.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J Klenow, 2008. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," 2008 Meeting Papers 121, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J. Klenow, 2007. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," NBER Working Papers 13290, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J. Klenow, 2007. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," Discussion Papers 07-006, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter Klenow, 2009. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," Working Papers 09-04, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Chang, Tai Hsieh & Peter, J- Klenow, 2007. "Misallocation and manufacturing TFP in China and India," MPRA Paper 35084, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Jun 2007.
- Scarpetta, Stefano & Fally, Thibault & Aghion, Philippe, 2007.
"Credit Constraints as a Barrier to the Entry and Post-Entry Growth of Firms,"
4554208, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Thibault Fally & Stefano Scarpetta, 2007. "Credit constraints as a barrier to the entry and post-entry growth of firms," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 22, pages 731-779, October.
- Aghion, Philippe & Fally, Thibault & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2007. "Credit Constraints as a Barrier to the Entry and Post-Entry Growth of Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 3237, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pablo Andrés Neumeyer & Guido Sandleris, 2010. "Understanding Productivity During the Argentine Crisis," Business School Working Papers 2010-04, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Nicolas Ziebarth, 2013.
"Are China and India Backwards? Evidence from the 19th Century U.S. Census of Manufactures,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 16(1), pages 86-99, January.
- Nicolas Ziebarth, 2012. "Code and data files for "Are China and India Backwards? Evidence from the 19th Century U.S. Census of Manufactures"," Computer Codes 11-35, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Dani Rodrik, 2013. "Unconditional Convergence in Manufacturing," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 128(1), pages 165-204.
- Diego Restuccia & Richard Rogerson, 2012.
"Misallocation and Productivity,"
tecipa-468, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Mary O'Mahony & Marcel P. Timmer, 2009. "Output, Input and Productivity Measures at the Industry Level: The EU KLEMS Database," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(538), pages F374-F403, 06.
- Bart van Ark & Mary O'Mahoney & Marcel P. Timmer, 2008. "The Productivity Gap between Europe and the United States: Trends and Causes," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 25-44, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gre:wpaper:2013-38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patrice Bougette)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.