Severance Payments and Firm-Specific Human Capital
An increase in legally binding severance payments creates both an incentive and a disincentive for workers to invest in firmspecific human capital. Which effect prevails on balance depends on the productivity of the worker’s human capital investment. For strong positive reactions, increases in severance payments can even be mutually beneficial for workers and firms.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Platz der Göttinger Sieben 3 - D-37073 Göttingen|
Web page: http://www.economics.uni-goettingen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward P. Lazear, 1990. "Job Security Provisions and Employment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(3), pages 699-726.
- Samuel Bentolila & Giuseppe Bertola, 1990. "Firing Costs and Labour Demand: How Bad is Eurosclerosis?," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(3), pages 381-402.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Zylberberg, André, 2000.
"Redundancy payments, incomplete labor contracts, unemployment and welfare,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Cahuc, Pierre & Zylberberg, Andre, 1999. "Redundancy Payments, Incomplete Labor Contracts, Unemployment and Welfare," IZA Discussion Papers 96, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrea Ichino & Regina T. Riphahn, 2001.
"The Effect of Employment Protection on Worker Effort. A Comparison of Absenteeism During and After Probation,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
596, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ichino, Andrea & Riphahn, Regina T., 2001. "The Effect of Employment Protection on Worker Effort: A Comparison of Absenteeism During and After Probation," IZA Discussion Papers 385, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ichino, Andrea & Riphahn, Regina, 2003. "The Effect of Employment Protection on Worker Effort: A Comparison of Absenteeism During and After Probation," CEPR Discussion Papers 3847, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Levine, David I, 1991. "Just-Cause Employment Policies in the Presence of Worker Adverse Selection," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(3), pages 294-305, July.
- Kuhn, Peter, 1992. "Mandatory Notice," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 10(2), pages 117-37, April.
- John T. Addison & Paulino Teixeira, 2003.
"The Economics of Employment Protection,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Transaction Publishers, vol. 24(1), pages 85-129, January.
- Daron Acemoglu & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 2002.
"Minimum wages and on-the-job training,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20084, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Daron Acemoglu & Jörn-Steffen Pischke, 2002. "Minimum Wages and On-the-Job Training," CEP Discussion Papers dp0527, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Daron Acemoglu & Steve Pischke, 1999. "Minimum Wages and On-the-Job Training," Working papers 99-25, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Pischke, Jörn-Steffen, 2001. "Minimum Wages and On-the-Job Training," IZA Discussion Papers 384, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daron Acemoglu & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1999. "Minimum Wages and On-the-job Training," NBER Working Papers 7184, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Pischke, Jörn-Steffen, 1999. "Minimum Wages and On-the-Job Training," CEPR Discussion Papers 2177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gary S. Becker, 1962. "Investment in Human Capital: A Theoretical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 9.
- Alvarez, Fernando & Veracierto, Marcelo, 2001. "Severance payments in an economy with frictions," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 477-498, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:got:vwldps:111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ben Schroeter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.