Does German Development Aid Promote German Exports?
This paper uses a static and dynamic gravity model of trade to investigate the link between German development aid and exports from Germany to the recipient countries. The findings indicate that in the long run,German aid is associated with an increase in exports of goods that is larger than the aid flow, with a point estimate of 140 percent of the aid given. In addition, the evolution of the estimated coefficients over time shows an effect that is consistently positive but which oscillates over time. Interestingly, in the period from 2001 to 2005, a steady increase in the effect of aid on trade can be observed following a decrease in this phenomenon in the second half of the nineties. The paper also distinguishes among recipient countries and finds that the return on aid measured by German exports is higher for aid to countries considered “strategic aid recipients” by the German government.
|Date of creation:||10 Apr 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Platz des Göttinger Sieben 3, 37073 Göttingen|
Phone: 0049-551-39 81 72
Fax: 0049-551-39 81 73
Web page: http://www.iai.wiwi.uni-goettingen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Inmaculada Martínez Zarzoso & Stephan Klasen & Dierk Herzer, 2009.
"Aid and Trade - A Donor’s Perspective,"
Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers
7, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Stephan Klasen & Dierk Herzer, 2008. "Aid and Trade - A Donor´s Perspective," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 171, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, .
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model,"
W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Slobodan Djajić & Sajal Lahiri & Pascalis Raimondos-Møller, 2004.
"Logic of Aid in an Intertemporal Setting,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 151-161, 02.
- Slobodan Djajic & Sajal Lahiri & Pascalis Raimondos-Moller, 2003. "Logic of aid in an intertemporal setting," IHEID Working Papers 06-2003, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Slobodan Djajic & Sajal Lahiri & Pascalis Raimondos-Møller, . "Logic of Aid in an Intertemporal Setting," EPRU Working Paper Series 96-21, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Dollar, David & Alesina, Alberto, 2000.
"Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
4553020, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Wagner, Don, 2003. "Aid and trade--an empirical study," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 153-173, June.
- Robert K. Fleck & Christopher Kilby, 2006.
"World Bank Independence: A Model and Statistical Analysis of US Influence,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 224-240, 05.
- Fleck, Robert K. & Kilby, Christopher & Fleck, Robert K., 2001. "World Bank Independence: A Model and Statistical Analysis of U.S. Influence," Vassar College Department of Economics Working Paper Series 53, Vassar College Department of Economics.
- Simone Juhasz Silva & Douglas Nelson, 2012.
"Does Aid Cause Trade? Evidence from an Asymmetric Gravity Model,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(5), pages 545-577, 05.
- Douglas Nelson & Simone Juhasz Silva, . "Does Aid Cause Trade? Evidence from an Asymmetric Gravity Model," Discussion Papers 08/21, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Hansen, Henrik & Tarp, Finn, 2001.
"Aid and growth regressions,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 547-570, April.
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2002.
"Bilateral Donors' Aid Allocation Decisions: A Three-dimensional Panel Analysis,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Berthelemy, Jean-Claude & Tichit, Ariane, 2004. "Bilateral donors' aid allocation decisions--a three-dimensional panel analysis," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 253-274.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2007.
"Enhanced routines for instrumental variables/GMM estimation and testing,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
667, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 05 Sep 2007.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2007. "Enhanced routines for instrumental variables/GMM estimation and testing," CERT Discussion Papers 0706, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- David Dollar & Craig Burnside, 2000.
"Aid, Policies, and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 847-868, September.
- Brecher, Richard A. & Bhagwati, Jagdish N., 1982. "Immiserizing transfers from abroad," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3-4), pages 353-364, November.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- J. N. Bhagwati & R. A. Brecher, 1979.
"Foreign Ownership and the Theory of Trade and Welfare,"
249, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Brecher, Richard A & Bhagwati, Jagdish N, 1981. "Foreign Ownership and the Theory of Trade and Welfare," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(3), pages 497-511, June.
- A. Bhargava & L. Franzini & W. Narendranathan, 2006.
"Serial Correlation and the Fixed Effects Model,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Econometrics, Statistics And Computational Approaches In Food And Health Sciences, chapter 4, pages 61-77
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Mak Arvin & Bruce Cater & Saud Choudhry, 2000. "A causality analysis of untied foreign assistance and export performance: the case of Germany," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(5), pages 315-319.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1985. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade: Some Microeconomic Foundations and Empirical Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 474-81, August.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N & Brecher, Richard A & Hatta, Tatsuo, 1983. "The Generalized Theory of Transfers and Welfare: Bilateral Transfers in a Multilateral World," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 606-18, September.
- Gale, David, 1974. "Exchange equilibrium and coalitions : An example," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 63-66, March.
- Oliver Morrissey, 2006. "Aid or Trade, or Aid and Trade?," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 39(1), pages 78-88, 03.
- Jagdish Bhagwati & Richard Brecher & Tatsuo Hatta, 1984. "The paradoxes of immiserizing growth and donor-enriching “recipient-immiserizing” transfers: A tale of two literatures," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 120(2), pages 228-243, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:got:iaidps:170. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Jaep)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.