The Impact of Financial Crises on Trade Flows: A Developing Country Perspective
The global financial crisis has hit hard international trade that dropped below levels not seen since the Great Depression with disastrous consequences for the developing world. This paper estimates an extended gravity model of trade on a sample of 83 developing countries over the period 1990-2007 to shed light on how banking crises and global economic downturns affect bilateral exports flows from developing countries. In addition to traditional variables, we include a trade finance variable and foreign aid among the regressors. Differences between developing regions are taken into account. Our results show that (i) trade finance has a positive and significant impact on bilateral export flows in all developing regions except Latin America; (ii) foreign aid matters in all regions; (iii) global economic downturns exert a negative and significant impact on export flows in all developing countries, and especially in Latin American and Sub-Saharan African economies; (iv) banking crises appear to have no significant impact in most regions.
|Date of creation:||29 Mar 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aes.ac.uk/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gian M Milesi-Ferretti & Assaf Razin, 1997.
"Sharp Reductions in Current Account Deficits; An Empirical Analysis,"
IMF Working Papers
97/168, International Monetary Fund.
- Maria Milesi-Ferretti, Gian & Razin, Assaf, 1998. "Sharp reductions in current account deficits An empirical analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 897-908, May.
- Gian Maria Milesi-Ferrett & Assaf Razin, 1997. "Sharp Reductions in Current Account Deficits: An Empirical Analyis," NBER Working Papers 6310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Raghuram Rajan & Enrica Detragiache, 2005.
"The Real Effect of Banking Crises,"
IMF Working Papers
05/63, International Monetary Fund.
- Graciela Laura Kaminsky, 1997.
"Leading Indicators of Currency Crises,"
IMF Working Papers
97/79, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul, 1998. "Leading Indicators of Currency Crises," MPRA Paper 6981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1997. "Leading indicators of currency crises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1852, The World Bank.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Stephan Klasen & Mario Larch, 2009.
"Does German Development Aid Promote German Exports?,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10, pages 317-338, 08.
- Inmaculada Martínez Zarzoso & Felictas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Stephan Klasen & Mario Larch, 2008. "Does German Development Aid Promote German Exports?," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 170, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Martínez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada & Nowak-Lehmann D., Felicitas & Klasen, Stefan & Larch, Mario, 2008. "Does German Development Aid Promote German Exports?," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Zurich 2008 26, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Akiko Suwa-Eisenmann & Thierry Verdier, 2007.
"Aid and trade,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 23(3), pages 481-507, Autumn.
- Thierry Verdier & Akiko Suwa-Eisenmann, 2007. "Aid and Trade," Post-Print halshs-00754208, HAL.
- SUWA-EISENMANN Akiko & VERDIER Thierry, 2007. "Aid and trade," Research Unit Working Papers 0709, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Suwa Eisenmann, Akiko & Verdier, Thierry, 2007. "Aid and Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 6465, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- I-Hui Cheng & Howard J. Wall, 2005.
"Controlling for heterogeneity in gravity models of trade and integration,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 49-63.
- I-Hui Cheng & Howard J. Wall, 2004. "Controlling for heterogeneity in gravity models of trade and integration," Working Papers 1999-010, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Chauffour, Jean-Pierre & Saborowski, Christian & Soylemezoglu, Ahmet I., 2010. "Trade finance in crisis : should developing countries establish export credit agencies ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5166, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aesc10:91831. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.