Contagious Cooperation, Temptation, and Ecosystem Collapse
Real world observations suggest that social norms of cooperation can be effective in overcoming social dilemmas such as the joint management of a common pool resource – but also that they can be subject to slow erosion and sudden collapse. We show that these patterns of erosion and collapse emerge endogenously in a model of a closed community harvesting a renewable natural resource in which individual agents face the temptation to overexploit the resource, while a cooperative harvesting norm spreads through the community via interpersonal relations. We analyze under what circumstances small changes in key parameters (including the size of the community, and the rate of technological progress) trigger catastrophic transitions from relatively high levels of cooperation to widespread norm violation – causing the social-ecological system to collapse.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.feem.it/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samuel Bowles & Herbert Gintis, 2001.
"Social Capital and Community Governance,"
01-01-003, Santa Fe Institute.
- Barkley Rosser, J. Jr., 2001. "Complex ecologic-economic dynamics and environmental policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 23-37, April.
- Iwasa, Yoh & Uchida, Tomoe & Yokomizo, Hiroyuki, 2007. "Nonlinear behavior of the socio-economic dynamics for lake eutrophication control," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 219-229, June.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M, 1987. "Suboptimal Controls in Common Resource Management: The Case of the Fishery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(1), pages 179-94, February.
- Brian R. Copeland & M. Scott Taylor, 2004.
"Trade, Tragedy, and the Commons,"
NBER Working Papers
10836, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James A. Wilson, 1982. "The Economical Management of Multispecies Fisheries," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 58(4), pages 417-434.
- Daniel Balliet, 2010. "Communication and Cooperation in Social Dilemmas: A Meta-Analytic Review," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 54(1), pages 39-57, February.
- Hotte, Louis & Long, Ngo Van & Tian, Huilan, 2000. "International trade with endogenous enforcement of property rights," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 25-54, June.
- David Masclet & Charles Noussair & Steven Tucker & Marie-Claire Villeval, 2001.
"Monetary and Non-Monetary Punishment in the Voluntary Contributions Mechanism,"
- David Masclet & Charles Noussair & Steven Tucker & Marie-Claire Villeval, 2003. "Monetary and Nonmonetary Punishment in the Voluntary Contributions Mechanism," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 366-380, March.
- Masclet, D. & Noussair, C. & Tucker, S. & Villeval, M.C., 2001. "Monetary and Non-monetary Punishment in the Voluntary Contributions Mechanism," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1141, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- David Masclet & Charles Noussair & Steven Tucker & Marie-Claire Villeval, 2003. "Monetary and non Monetary Punishment in the Voluntary Contributions Mechanism," Post-Print halshs-00175251, HAL.
- Smith, Vernon L, 1969. "On Models of Commercial Fishing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(2), pages 181-98, March/Apr.
- Gould, J R, 1972. "Extinction of a Fishery by Commercial Exploitation: A Note," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(5), pages 1031-38, Sept.-Oct.
- Munro, Gordon R. & Scott, Anthony D., 1985. "The economics of fisheries management," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 14, pages 623-676 Elsevier.
- Stephen Polasky & Aart de Zeeuw & Florian Wagener, 2010.
"Optimal Management with Potential Regime Shifts,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3237, CESifo Group Munich.
- Joïlle Noailly & Jeroen C.J.M. van den Bergh & Cees A. Withagen, 2003.
"Evolution of harvesting strategies: replicator and resource dynamics,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 183-200, 04.
- Joelle Noailly, Jeroen van den Bergh, Cees Withagen, 2001. "Evolution of Harvesting Strategies: Replicator and Resource Dynamics," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 263, Society for Computational Economics.
- Karp, Larry & Sacheti, Sandeep & Zhao, Jinhua, 1999.
"Common ground between free-traders and environmentalists,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt7jw3t8pw, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Karp, Larry & Sacheti, Sandeep & Zhao, Jinhua, 2001. "Common Ground between Free-Traders and Environmentalists," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(3), pages 617-47, August.
- Karp, Larry & Sacheti, Sandeep, 1997. "Common Ground Between Free-traders and Environmentalists," CEPR Discussion Papers 1598, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zhao, Jinhua & Karp, Larry & Sacheti, Sandeep, 2001. "Common Ground Between Free-Traders and Environmentalists," Staff General Research Papers 5138, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ernst Fehr & Simon Gaechter, 1999.
"Cooperation and Punishment in Public Goods Experiments,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
183, CESifo Group Munich.
- Simon Gachter & Ernst Fehr, 2000. "Cooperation and Punishment in Public Goods Experiments," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 980-994, September.
- Ernst Fehr & Simon Gaechter, . "Cooperation and Punishment in Public Goods Experiments," IEW - Working Papers 010, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Oses-Eraso, Nuria & Viladrich-Grau, Montserrat, 2007. "On the sustainability of common property resources," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 393-410, May.
- H. Peyton Young, 2009. "Innovation Diffusion in Heterogeneous Populations: Contagion, Social Influence, and Social Learning," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(5), pages 1899-1924, December.
- Rand, David Gertler & Dreber, Anna & Fudenberg, Drew & Ellingson, Tore & Nowak, Martin A., 2009. "Positive Interactions Promote Public Cooperation," Scholarly Articles 3804483, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Maroš Servátka & Steven Tucker & Radovan Vadovič, 2011.
"Words Speak Louder Than Money,"
Working Papers in Economics
11/13, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Karl-Göran Mäler & Anastasios Xepapadeas & Aart de Zeeuw, 2003.
"The Economics of Shallow Lakes,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(4), pages 603-624, December.
- Mäler, K-G. & Xepapadeas, A. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 2003. "The economics of shallow lakes," Other publications TiSEM 368f83ad-bc2f-4ad4-b603-8, School of Economics and Management.
- Mäler, K-G. & Xepapadeas, A. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 2000. "The Economics of Shallow Lakes," Discussion Paper 2000-69, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- repec:feb:natura:0059 is not listed on IDEAS
- Geoffrey Heal & Howard Kunreuther, 2010.
"Social Reinforcement: Cascades, Entrapment, and Tipping,"
American Economic Journal: Microeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 86-99, February.
- Geoffrey Heal & Howard Kunreuther, 2007. "Social Reinforcement: Cascades, Entrapment and Tipping," NBER Working Papers 13579, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berck, Peter, 1979. "Open Access and Extinction," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 877-82, July.
- M. Scott Taylor, 2009. "Innis Lecture: Environmental crises: past, present, and future," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1240-1275, November.
- Charles F. Manski, 2000.
"Economic Analysis of Social Interactions,"
NBER Working Papers
7580, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521637329 is not listed on IDEAS
- McCarthy, Nancy & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain, 2001. "Common Pool Resource Appropriation under Costly Cooperation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 297-309, November.
- Daniel Nettle & Gilbert Roberts & Melissa Bateson, 2006. "Cues of being watched enhance cooperation in a real-world setting," Natural Field Experiments 00214, The Field Experiments Website.
- Brander, James A & Taylor, M Scott, 1998. "The Simple Economics of Easter Island: A Ricardo-Malthus Model of Renewable Resource Use," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 119-38, March.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-123314 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robalino, Juan A. & Pfaff, Alexander, 2012. "Contagious development: Neighbor interactions in deforestation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 427-436.
- Sethi, Rajiv & Somanathan, E, 1996. "The Evolution of Social Norms in Common Property Resource Use," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 766-88, September.
- Bulte Erwin & Horan Richard D., 2010. "Identities in the Commons: The Dynamics of Norms and Social Capital," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-35, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fem:femwpa:2013.36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.