The Short- and Long-Run Effects of Exchange Rate Changes on the Japanese Electronics Industry
The value of Japanese electronics exports has tumbled since the advent of the Global Financial Crisis, largely because export prices have fallen. This paper presents evidence that the appreciation of the yen between 2007 and 2011 caused yen export prices for electronics goods to fall by more than 20%. Yen export prices fell much more then yen costs over this period, implying that profit margins have been squeezed. This paper also reports that, in the long run, a 10% appreciation of the yen will reduce the volume of electronics exports by 10%. Japanese firms could mitigate the adverse impact of the strong yen by producing innovative products rather than competing based on price in commoditized industries.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thorbecke, Willem & Komoto, Ginalyn, 2010. "Investigating the Effect of Exchange Rate Changes on Transpacific Rebalancing," ADBI Working Papers 247, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- José Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2005.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 679-690, November.
- Campa, Jose M. & Goldberg, Linda S., 2002.
"Exchange rate pass-through into import prices: A macro or micro phenomenon?,"
IESE Research Papers
D/475, IESE Business School.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices: A Macro or Micro Phenomenon?," NBER Working Papers 8934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2002. "Exchange rate pass-through into import prices: a macro or micro phenomenon?," Staff Reports 149, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2011. "Growing with Global Production Sharing: The Tale of Penang Export Hub," Departmental Working Papers 2011-13, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Willem THORBECKE, 2012. "Investigating China's Disaggregated Processed Exports: Evidence that the RMB matters," Discussion papers 12003, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Petri, Peter A. & Plummer, Michael G., 2009. "The triad in crisis: What we learned and how it will change global cooperation," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 700-713, November.
- Ceglowski, Janet, 2010. "Has pass-through to export prices risen? Evidence for Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 86-98, March.
- Thomas Klitgaard, 1999. "Exchange rates and profit margins: the case of Japanese exporters," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 41-54.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:12019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.