Investigating China's Disaggregated Processed Exports: Evidence that the RMB matters
China's trade surplus is entirely in processing trade. Processed exports are final goods produced using parts and components coming from East Asian supply chain countries. Many claim that because much of the value added of China's processed exports comes from East Asian countries, exchange rates in supply chain countries should affect China's processed exports and the renminbi should not. To investigate these issues, this paper disaggregates processed exports into their two main categories—processing with imported materials (PWIM) exports and processing and assembly (PAA) exports. For PWIM exports, much of the value added comes from China, while for PAA exports, most of the value-added comes from supply chain countries. Dynamic ordinary least squares (DOLS) results indicate that East Asian exchange rates affect both types of exports and that the renminbi significantly affects PWIM exports but not PAA exports. Since PWIM exports are now six times the value of PAA exports, these results indicate that the renminbi matters for aggregate processed exports.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Chinn, Menzie D. & Qian, XingWang, 2012.
"Are Chinese trade flows different?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2127-2146.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & XingWang Qian, 2012. "Are Chinese Trade Flows Different?," NBER Working Papers 17875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Chinn, Menzie D. & Qian, XingWang, 2012. "Are Chinese trade flows different?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 14/2012, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Barry Eichengreen & Hui Tong, 2007. "Is China’s FDI Coming at the Expense of Other Countries?," Chapters,in: Foreign Direct Investment in Europe, chapter 11 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Tong, Hui, 2007. "Is China's FDI coming at the expense of other countries?," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 153-172, June.
- Barry Eichengreen & Hui Tong, 2005. "Is China's FDI Coming at the Expense of Other Countries?," NBER Working Papers 11335, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Yeongseop Rhee & Hui Tong, 2004. "The Impact of China on the Exports of Other Asian Countries," NBER Working Papers 10768, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yuqing Xing & Neal Detert, 2011. "How the iPhone Widens the United States Trade Deficit with the People's Republic of China:," Aussenwirtschaft, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science, Swiss Institute for International Economics and Applied Economics Research, vol. 66(03), pages 339-350, 09.
- Xing, Yuqing & Detert, Neal, 2010. "How the iPhone Widens the United States Trade Deficit with the People's Republic of China," ADBI Working Papers 257, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Thorbecke, Willem, 2011. "Investigating the effect of exchange rate changes on china's processed exports," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 33-46, June.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Françoise Lemoine & Deniz Ünal-Kesenci, 2005. "China’s Integration in East Asia: Production Sharing, FDI & High-Tech Trade," Working Papers 2005-09, CEPII research center.
- ITO Takatoshi & KOIBUCHI Satoshi & SASAKI Yuri & SATO Kiyotaka & SHIMIZU Junko & HAYAKAWA Kazunobu & YOSHIMI Taiyo, 2008. "Currency Invoicing and Foreign Exchange Risk Management: A Case Study of Japanese Firms (Japanese)," Discussion Papers (Japanese) 08009, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Garcia-Herrero, Alicia & Koivu, Tuuli, 2007. "Can the chinese trade surplus be reduced through exchange rate policy?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 6/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Robert Koopman & Zhi Wang & Shang-Jin Wei, 2008. "How Much of Chinese Exports is Really Made In China? Assessing Domestic Value-Added When Processing Trade is Pervasive," NBER Working Papers 14109, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:12003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.