Global Fixed Capital Investment by Multinational Firms
This paper develops and tests a simple model of the simultaneous determination of gross fixed capital formation by multinational Japanese firms in home and host countries. We treat multinational firms as multi-product firms, choosing optimal investment locations and production scale for each product. We test the predictions of the model on a unique dataset covering 1707 fixed capital investment decisions by (affiliates of) Japanese multinational firms in the manufacturing sector based on research conducted in 1996 and 1997. We find that the rate of investment is not only determined by factors affecting the return on investment levels in a country (e.g. effective demand and wages), but also by wage levels in other countries in which the firm operates manufacturing affiliates. Firms facing global liquidity constraints show systematically lower investment ratios, suggesting that financing constraints are another source of interaction between investments.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomström, Magnus & Fors, Gunnar & Lipsey, Robert E., 1997.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
200, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Fors, Gunnar & Lipsey, Robert E, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1787-97, November.
- Blomström, Magnus & Fors, Gunnar & Lipsey, Robert E., 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden," Working Paper Series 490, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Gunnar Fors & Robert E. Lipsey, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden," NBER Working Papers 6205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- René Belderbos, 1992.
"Large multinational enterprises based in a small economy: Effects on domestic investment,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 128(3), pages 543-557, September.
- Belderbos, R.A., 1992. "Large Multnational Enterprises Based in a Small Economy: Effects on Domestic Investment," Papers 9115-g, Erasmus University of Rotterdam - Institute for Economic Research.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Denise Konan & Robert E. Lipsey, 2000.
"FDI in the Restructuring of the Japanese Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
7693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomström, Magnus & Konan, Denise & Lipsey, Robert E., 2000. "FDI in the Restructuring of the Japanese Economy," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 371, Stockholm School of Economics.
- René Belderbos & Jianglei Zou, 2007. "On the growth of foreign affiliates: multinational plant networks, joint ventures, and flexibility," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 38(7), pages 1095-1112, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:10044. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.