Global Fixed Capital Investment by Multinational Firms
This paper develops and tests a simple model of the simultaneous determination of gross fixed capital formation by multinational Japanese firms in home and host countries. We treat multinational firms as multi-product firms, choosing optimal investment locations and production scale for each product. We test the predictions of the model on a unique dataset covering 1707 fixed capital investment decisions by (affiliates of) Japanese multinational firms in the manufacturing sector based on research conducted in 1996 and 1997. We find that the rate of investment is not only determined by factors affecting the return on investment levels in a country (e.g. effective demand and wages), but also by wage levels in other countries in which the firm operates manufacturing affiliates. Firms facing global liquidity constraints show systematically lower investment ratios, suggesting that financing constraints are another source of interaction between investments.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 80 (2013)
Issue (Month): 318 (04)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0013-0427|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomström, Magnus & Fors, Gunnar & Lipsey, Robert E., 1997.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden,"
Working Paper Series
490, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Fors, Gunnar & Lipsey, Robert E, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1787-97, November.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Gunnar Fors & Robert E. Lipsey, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden," NBER Working Papers 6205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomström, Magnus & Fors, Gunnar & Lipsey, Robert E., 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 200, Stockholm School of Economics.
- René Belderbos, 1992.
"Large multinational enterprises based in a small economy: Effects on domestic investment,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 128(3), pages 543-557, September.
- Belderbos, R.A., 1992. "Large Multnational Enterprises Based in a Small Economy: Effects on Domestic Investment," Papers 9115-g, Erasmus University of Rotterdam - Institute for Economic Research.
- Blomström, Magnus & Konan, Denise & Lipsey, Robert E., 2000.
"FDI in the Restructuring of the Japanese Economy,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
371, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Ren� Belderbos & Jianglei Zou, 2007. "On the growth of foreign affiliates: multinational plant networks, joint ventures, and flexibility," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(7), pages 1095-1112, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:econom:v:80:y:2013:i:318:p:274-299. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.