Collateralized capital and News-driven cycles
Kobayashi, Nakajima, and Inaba (2007) show that in the neoclassical business cycle models with collateral constraints, a boom can be generated in response to an optimistic change in expectations on the future state of the economy. They call this business cycle a news-driven cycle. In their models, land is used as collateral, and borrowing for working capital is limited by the value of collateralized land. We simplify their model to one without land. We show that in an economy where capital goods are used as collateral, news-driven cycles can be generated.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christiano, Lawrence & Ilut, Cosmin & Motto, Roberto & Rostagno, Massimo, 2008. "Monetary policy and stock market boom-bust cycles," Working Paper Series 0955, European Central Bank.
- Beaudry, Paul & Portier, Franck, 2004.
"An exploration into Pigou's theory of cycles,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 1183-1216, September.
- Kengo Nutahara, 2007. "Matlab code to replicate the Beaudry-Portier news shock model," QM&RBC Codes 170, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Beaudry, Paul & Portier, Franck, 2001. "An Exploration into Pigou's Theory of Cycles," CEPR Discussion Papers 2996, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John Moore & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, .
1995-5, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Nir Jaimovich & Sergio Rebelo, 2006.
"Can News About the Future Drive the Business Cycle?,"
2006 Meeting Papers
31, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Nir Jaimovich & Sergio Rebelo, 2009. "Can News about the Future Drive the Business Cycle?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(4), pages 1097-1118, September.
- Jaimovich, Nir & Rebelo, Sérgio, 2006. "Can News About the Future Drive the Business Cycle?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5877, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nir Jaimovich & Sergio Rebelo, 2006. "Can News About the Future Drive the Business Cycle?," NBER Working Papers 12537, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hayashi, Fumio, 1982.
"Tobin's Marginal q and Average q: A Neoclassical Interpretation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 213-24, January.
- Fumio Hayashi, 1981. "Tobin's Marginal q and Average a : A Neoclassical Interpretation," Discussion Papers 457, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Tomoyuki Nakajima & Masaru Inaba & Keiichiro Kobayashi, 2007.
"Collateral constraint and news-driven cycles,"
2007 Meeting Papers
320, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- KOBAYASHI Keiichiro & NUTAHARA Kengo, 2007.
"Collateralized capital and News-driven cycles,"
07062, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:07062. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.