The Diamond-Rajan Bank Runs in a Production Economy
To analyze the macroeconomic consequences of a systemic bank run, we integrate the banking model `a la Diamond and Rajan (2001a) into a simplified version of an infinite-horizon neoclassical growth model. The banking sector intermediates the collateral-secured loans from households to entrepreneurs. The entrepreneurs also deposit their working capital in the banks. The systemic bank run, which is a sunspot phenomenon in this model, results in a deep recession through causing a sudden shortage of the working capital. We show that an increase in the probability of occurrence of the systemic run can persistently lower output, consumption, labor, capital and the asset price, even if the systemic run does not actually occur. This result implies that the slowdown of economic growth after the financial crises may be caused by the increased fragility of the banking system or the raised fears of recurrence of the systemic runs.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2011|
|Note:||March 2011 (First draft: September 30, 2010)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186-8603|
Web page: http://cis.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saki Bigio, 2015.
"Endogenous Liquidity and the Business Cycle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 105(6), pages 1883-1927, June.
- New York University & Saki Bigio, 2010. "Endogenous Liquidity and the Business Cycle," 2010 Meeting Papers 672, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Saki Bigio, 2014. "Endogenous Liquidity and the Business Cycle," Working Papers 2014-24, Peruvian Economic Association.
- Keiichiro Kobayashi & Kengo Nutahara, 2007. "Collateralized capital and news-driven cycles," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(18), pages 1-9.
- KOBAYASHI Keiichiro & NUTAHARA Kengo, 2007. "Collateralized capital and News-driven cycles," Discussion papers 07062, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Angeloni, Ignazio & Faia, Ester, 2013. "Capital regulation and monetary policy with fragile banks," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 311-324.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2007:i:18:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:piecis:515. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.