Transition to Postindustrial Society? A Study of the Service Sector Employment in Russia
The transition to market economic systems in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union involves fundamental shifts in the sectoral allocation of resources, in particular, dramatic changes in employment structures. Development of services in Russia turns to be more impressive than in many other transitional countries. This pa-per uses the Baumol-Fuchs model of the service sector expansion to estimate underdevelopment of services in Russia prior the transition and measure the progress in catching-up that has taken place thus far. Based on the Russian Longitudinal Monitoring Survey (1994-2000) empirical analysis demonstrates that sectoral variation in the difference between withdrawal from and entrance to the labor force is the main reason of changing distribution of labor. For job-to-job transitions low quality of current job matches, tenure effects and labor market segmentation are the most important explanation of intersectoral labor mobility.
|Date of creation:||18 Dec 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web page: http://www.eercnetwork.com
|Order Information:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web: https://eercnetwork.com/paper Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1968. "The Service Economy," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number fuch68-1, Enero.
- Sabirianova, Klara Z., 2002.
"The Great Human Capital Reallocation: A Study of Occupational Mobility in Transitional Russia,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 191-217, March.
- Sabirianova Klara, 2001. "The Great Human Capital Reallocation: A Study of Occupational Mobility in Transitional Russiah," EERC Working Paper Series 2k/11e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Louise Grogan, 2000. "Worker Flows in Russia," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-008/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1980. "Economic Growth and the Rise of Service Employment," NBER Working Papers 0486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1968. "Some Implications of the Growth of a Service Economy," NBER Chapters, in: The Service Economy, pages 183-199 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kravis, Irving B, 1984. "Comparative Studies of National Incomes and Prices," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 1-39, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eer:wpalle:03-09e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anton Pashchenko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.