Cross-Border M&A Inflows and the Quality of Institutions : A Cross-Country Panel Data Analysis
This paper provides an empirical explanation to the observed disparity in cross-border M&A inflows to developing and developed countries over the last two decades. We show two main results. First, the disparity can be attributed to the difference in the quality of institutions between the two groups of countries. Second, the gain from reforming institutions in developing countries is smaller than that in developed countries. These findings suggest that, with the current speed of institutional reforms in developing countries, the disparity is likely to persist.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausman, Jerry A & Taylor, William E, 1981.
"Panel Data and Unobservable Individual Effects,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1377-98, November.
- Axel Borrmann & Matthias Busse & Silke Neuhaus, 2006.
"Institutional Quality and the Gains from Trade,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 345-368, 08.
- Filipe R. Campante & Davin Chor & Quoc-Anh Do, 2009.
"Instability And The Incentives For Corruption,"
Economics and Politics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 42-92, 03.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Irwin, Douglas A., 1995. "Trade blocs, currency blocs and the reorientation of world trade in the 1930s," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 1-24, February.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2005.
"Offshore financial centers: parasites or symbionts?,"
Working Paper Series
2005-05, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- AndrewK. Rose & MarkM. Spiegel, 2007. "Offshore Financial Centres: Parasites or Symbionts?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(523), pages 1310-1335, October.
- Rose, Andrew K & Spiegel, Mark, 2005. "Offshore Financial Centres: Parasites or Symbionts?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5081, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark Spiegel, 2006. "Offshore Financial Centers: Parasites or Symbionts?," NBER Working Papers 12044, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Evenett, 2004.
"The Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisitions Wave of the Late 1990s,"
in: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics, pages 411-470
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon J. Evenett, 2003. "The Cross Border Mergers and Acquisitions Wave of the Late 1990s," NBER Working Papers 9655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henry G. Manne, 1965. "Mergers and the Market for Corporate Control," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 110.
- di Giovanni, Julian, 2002.
"What Drives Capital Flows? The Case of Cross-Border M&A Activity and Financial Deepening,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series
qt7nq6d7wp, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- di Giovanni, Julian, 2005. "What drives capital flows? The case of cross-border M&A activity and financial deepening," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 127-149, January.
- Julian di Giovanni & Contact: email@example.com, 2003. "What Drives Capital Flows? The Case of Cross-Border M&A Activity and Financial Deepening," International Trade 0303002, EconWPA.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "One money, one market: the effect of common currencies on trade," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 7-46, 04.
- Henry G. Manne, 1965. "Mergers and the Market for Corporate Control," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 351.
- Breusch, Trevor S & Mizon, Grayham E & Schmidt, Peter, 1989. "Efficient Estimation Using Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 695-700, May.
- Amemiya, Takeshi & MaCurdy, Thomas E, 1986. "Instrumental-Variable Estimation of an Error-Components Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 869-80, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:microe:21920. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.