Estimation of Linear Dynamic Panel Data Models with Time-Invariant Regressors
This paper considers estimation methods and inference for linear dynamic panel data models with unit-specific heterogeneity and a short time dimension. In particular, we focus on the identification of the coefficients of time-invariant variables in a dynamic version of the Hausman and Taylor (1981) model. We propose a two-stage estimation procedure to identify the effects of time-invariant regressors. We first estimate the coefficients of the time-varying regressors and subsequently regress the first-stage residuals on the time-invariant regressors to recover the coefficients of the latter. Standard errors are adjusted to take into account the first-stage estimation uncertainty. As potential first-stage estimators we discuss generalized method of moments estimators and the transformed likelihood approach of Hsiao, Pesaran, and Tahmiscioglu (2992(. We carry out Monte Carlo experiments to compare the performance of the two-stage approach to various system GMM estimators that obtain all parameter estimates simultaneously. The results are in favor of the two-stage approach. We provide further simulation evidence that GMM estimators with a large number of instruments can be severely biased in finite samples. Reducing the instrument count by collapsing the instrument matrices strongly improves the results while restricting the lag depth does not.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.socialpolitik.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Maurice J. G. Bun & Frank Windmeijer, 2010.
"The weak instrument problem of the system GMM estimator in dynamic panel data models,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 13(1), pages 95-126, 02.
- Maurice J.G. Bun & Frank Windmeijer, 2007. "The Weak Instrument Problem of the System GMM Estimator in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 07/595, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Maurice Bun & Frank Windmeijer, 2007. "The weak instrument problem of the system GMM estimator in dynamic panel data models," CeMMAP working papers CWP08/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Corrado Andini, 2007. "Returns to education and wage equations: a dynamic approach," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(8), pages 577-579.
- David Roodman, 2009.
"A Note on the Theme of Too Many Instruments,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 71(1), pages 135-158, 02.
- Hayakawa, Kazuhiko & Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2012.
"Robust Standard Errors in Transformed Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6583, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kazuhiko Hayakawa & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2012. "Robust Standard Errors in Transformed Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Panel Data Models," CESifo Working Paper Series 3850, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kazuhiko Hayakawa & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2012. "Robust Standard Errors in Transformed Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Panel Data Models," Working Paper Series 38_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number minc74-1, May.
- Spence, A Michael, 1973. "Job Market Signaling," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 87(3), pages 355-74, August.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1982. "Multivariate regression models for panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 5-46, January.
- Breusch, Trevor & Ward, Michael B & Nguyen, Hoa & Kompas, Tom, 2010. "On the fixed-effects vector decomposition," MPRA Paper 21452, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arellano, Manuel, 2003. "Panel Data Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199245291, March.
- Corrado Andini, 2010.
"A dynamic Mincer equation with an application to Portuguese data,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(16), pages 2091-2098.
- Andini, Corrado, 2007. "A Dynamic Mincer Equation with an Application to Portuguese Data," IZA Discussion Papers 2897, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andini, Corrado, 2009. "How Fast Do Wages Adjust to Human-Capital Productivity? Dynamic Panel-Data Evidence from Belgium, Denmark and Finland," IZA Discussion Papers 4583, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Introduction to "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings"," NBER Chapters, in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amemiya, Takeshi & MaCurdy, Thomas E, 1986. "Instrumental-Variable Estimation of an Error-Components Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(4), pages 869-80, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:vfsc13:79756. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.