A dynamic Mincer equation with an application to Portuguese data
This article argues in favour of a dynamic specification of the Mincer equation, where the past observed earnings play the role of additional explanatory variable for current observed earnings. A dynamic approach offers an explanation why the return to schooling in terms of observed earnings is not independent of labour-market experience, as suggested by some recent empirical evidence for the United States.
Volume (Year): 42 (2010)
Issue (Month): 16 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James J. Heckman & Lance J. Lochner & Petra E. Todd, 2003.
"Fifty Years of Mincer Earnings Regressions,"
NBER Working Papers
9732, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Budria, Santiago & Telhado-Pereira, Pedro, 2005.
"Educational Qualifications and Wage Inequality: Evidence for Europe,"
91, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Santiago Budría & Pedro Telhado-Pereira, 2011. "Educational Qualifications And Wage Inequality: Evidence For Europe," Revista de Economia Aplicada, Universidad de Zaragoza, Departamento de Estructura Economica y Economia Publica, vol. 19(2), pages 5-34, Autumn.
- Budría, Santiago & Pereira, Pedro T., 2005. "Educational Qualifications and Wage Inequality: Evidence for Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 1763, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Corrado Andini, 2007. "Returns to education and wage equations: a dynamic approach," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(8), pages 577-579.
- Telhado Pereira, Pedro & Silva Martins, Pedro, 2002.
"Is there a return-risk link in education?,"
Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 31-37, March.
- Taylor, John B., 1999.
"Staggered price and wage setting in macroeconomics,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 15, pages 1009-1050
- John B. Taylor, 1998. "Staggered Price and Wage Setting in Macroeconomics," NBER Working Papers 6754, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philip A. Trostel, 2005. "Nonlinearity in the return to education," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 191-202, May.
- Omar Arias & Walter Sosa-Escudero & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001.
"Individual heterogeneity in the returns to schooling: instrumental variables quantile regression using twins data,"
Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 7-40.
- Omar Arias & Kevin F. Hallock & Walter Sosa Escudero, 1999. "Individual Heterogeneity in the Returns to Schooling: Instrumental Variables Quantile Regression using Twins Data," Department of Economics, Working Papers 016, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Heckman, James J. & Lochner, Lance John & Todd, Petra E., 2005.
"Earnings Functions, Rates of Return and Treatment Effects: The Mincer Equation and Beyond,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1700, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Heckman, James J. & Lochner, Lance J. & Todd, Petra E., 2006. "Earnings Functions, Rates of Return and Treatment Effects: The Mincer Equation and Beyond," Handbook of the Economics of Education, Elsevier.
- James J. Heckman & Lance J. Lochner & Petra E. Todd, 2005. "Earnings Functions, Rates of Return and Treatment Effects: The Mincer Equation and Beyond," NBER Working Papers 11544, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Card, David, 1999. "The causal effect of education on earnings," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 30, pages 1801-1863 Elsevier.
- Pereira, Pedro T. & Martins, Pedro S., 2001.
"Returns to Education and Wage Equations,"
IZA Discussion Papers
298, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Corrado Andini, 2007. "The total impact of schooling on within-groups wage inequality in Portugal," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 85-90.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1977. "Estimating the Returns to Schooling: Some Econometric Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Martins, Pedro S. & Pereira, Pedro T., 2004. "Does education reduce wage inequality? Quantile regression evidence from 16 countries," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 355-371, June.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Welch, Finis, 1990. "Empirical Age-Earnings Profiles," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(2), pages 202-29, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:42:y:2010:i:16:p:2091-2098. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.