Educational Qualifications and Wage Inequality: Evidence for Europe
This paper explores the connection between education and wage inequality in nine European countries. We exploit the quantile regression technique to calculate returns to lower secondary, upper secondary and tertiary education at different points of the wage distribution. We find that returns to tertiary education are highly increasing when moving from the lower to the upper quantiles. This finding suggests that an educational expansion towards tertiary education is expected, ceteris paribus, to increase overall wage inequality through the withindimension. Returns to secondary education are more homogeneous across quantiles, thus suggesting that an educational expansion towards secondary education is expected to have a more limited impact on within-groups dispersion. Using data from the last decades, we assess how the impact of education on wage inequality has evolved over time. We detect different trends across countries. A common feature is that the inequality increasing effect of tertiary education became more acute over the last years.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Revista de Economía Aplicada, 2011, 56 (19), 5-34|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pereira, Pedro T. & Martins, Pedro S., 2000.
"Does Education Reduce Wage Inequality? Quantile Regressions Evidence from Fifteen European Countries,"
IZA Discussion Papers
120, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pereira, Pedro Telhado & Martins, Pedro Silva, 2000. "Does Education Reduce Wage Inequality? Quantile Regressions Evidence from Fifteen European Countries," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp379, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Pereira, Pedro Telhado & Martins, Pedro Silva, 2002. "Does Education Reduce Wage Inequality? Quantile Regressions Evidence from Fifteen European Countries," Discussion Papers 709, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Giorgio Brunello, 2010.
"The effects of cohort size on European earnings,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 273-290, January.
- Telhado Pereira, Pedro & Silva Martins, Pedro, 2002.
"Is there a return-risk link in education?,"
Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 31-37, March.
- Sanders Mark & Weel Bas ter, 2000.
"Skill-Biased Technical Change: Theoretical Concepts, Empirical Problems and a Survey of the Evidence,"
012, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Mark Sanders & Bas ter Weel, 2000. "Skill-Biased Technical Change Theoretical Concepts, Empirical Problems and a Survey of the Evidence," DRUID Working Papers 00-8, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Eswar S. Prasad, 2004.
"The Unbearable Stability of the German Wage Structure: Evidence and Interpretation,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(2), pages 354-385.
- Eswar Prasad, 2000. "The Unbearable Stability of the German Wage Structure; Evidence and Interpretation," IMF Working Papers 00/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Joop Hartog & Pedro Pereira & Jose Vieira, 2001. "Changing returns to education in Portugal during the 1980s and early 1990s: OLS and quantile regression estimators," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(8), pages 1021-1037.
- Harmon, Colm & Hogan, Vincent & Walker, Ian, 2003.
"Dispersion in the economic return to schooling,"
Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 205-214, April.
- Colm Harmon & Vincent Hogan & Ian Walker, 2001. "Dispersion in the Economic Return to Schooling," Working Papers 200116, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Harmon, Colm & Hogan, Vincent & Walker, Ian, 2001. "Dispersion in the Economic Return to Schooling," CEPR Discussion Papers 3037, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2003.
"Cross-Country Inequality Trends,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(485), pages F121-F149, February.
- Alberto Abadie, 1997.
"Changes in Spanish labor income structure during the 1980's: a quantile regression aproach,"
Fundación SEPI, vol. 21(2), pages 253-272, May.
- Abadie,A., 1995. "Changes in Spanish Labor Income Structure During the 1980's:a Quantile Regression Approach," Papers 9521, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Barro, Robert J, 2000. " Inequality and Growth in a Panel of Countries," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-32, March.
- Buchinsky, Moshe, 1994. "Changes in the U.S. Wage Structure 1963-1987: Application of Quantile Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 405-58, March.
- José Mata & José A. F. Machado, 2005. "Counterfactual decomposition of changes in wage distributions using quantile regression," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 445-465.
- David H. Autor & Lawrence F. Katz & Melissa S. Kearney, 2005.
"Trends in U.S. Wage Inequality: Re-Assessing the Revisionists,"
NBER Working Papers
11627, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David H. Autor & Lawrence F. Katz & Melissa S. Kearney, 2005. "Trends in U. S. Wage Inequality: Re-Assessing the Revisionists," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2095, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Fersterer, Josef & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 2003.
"Are Austrian returns to education falling over time?,"
Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 73-89, February.
- Fersterer, Josef & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 1999. "Are Austrian Returns to Education Falling Over Time?," IZA Discussion Papers 72, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fersterer, Josef & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 1999. "Are Austrian Returns to Education Falling Over Time?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2313, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Vieira, Jose A. C., 1999. "Returns to education in Portugal," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 535-541, November.
- José A. F. Machado & José Mata, 2001.
"Earning functions in Portugal 1982-1994: Evidence from quantile regressions,"
Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 115-134.
- José Ferreira Machado & José Mata, 1998. "Earning Functions in Portugal 1982-1994: Evidence From Quantile Regressions," Working Papers w199802, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Tom Clark & Jayne Taylor, 1999. "Income inequality: a tale of two cycles?," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 20(4), pages 387-408, December.
- Gosling, Amanda & Machin, Stephen & Meghir, Costas, 2000.
"The Changing Distribution of Male Wages in the U.K,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(4), pages 635-66, October.
- Amanda Gosling & Stephen Machin & Costas Meghir, 1994. "The changing distribution of male wages in the UK," IFS Working Papers W94/13, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- A Gosling & Stephen Machin, 1995. "The Changing Distribution of Male Wages in the UK," CEP Discussion Papers dp0271, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Cholezas, Ioannis & Tsakloglou, Panos, 2007. "Earnings Inequality in Europe: Structure and Patterns of Inter-Temporal Changes," IZA Discussion Papers 2636, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- De Gregorio, Jose & Lee, Jong-Wha, 2002. "Education and Income Inequality: New Evidence from Cross-Country Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(3), pages 395-416, September.
- Hartog, Joop, 2000. "Over-education and earnings: where are we, where should we go?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 131-147, April.
- Peter Dolton, 2001.
"Over education in the graduate labour market: Some evidence from alumni data,"
CEE Discussion Papers
0009, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Peter Dolton & Mary Silles, 2001. "Over education in the graduate labour market: some evidence from alumni data," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19546, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Moshe Buchinsky, 1998. "Recent Advances in Quantile Regression Models: A Practical Guideline for Empirical Research," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 88-126.
- Machin, Stephen, 1997. "The decline of labour market institutions and the rise in wage inequality in Britain," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 647-657, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp1763. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.