The Impact Of Taxes On Trade Competitiveness
Few macroeconomic studies exist on the effects of taxes on international trade. Our hypothesis is that higher tax rates raise a country’s production costs, leading to a decrease in exports in the long run. With panel data for 25 OECD countries, we use average effective tax rates on consumption, labor income and capital income to examine their impact on bilateral trade. We find that that all three types of taxes reduce the flow of international trade.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (302) 831-2565
Fax: (302) 831-6968
Web page: http://www.lerner.udel.edu/departments/economics/department-economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asea, Patrick & Mendoza, Enrique G & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 1996.
"On the Ineffectiveness of Tax Policy in Altering Long- Run Growth: Harberger's Superneutrality Conjecture,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1378, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mendoza, Enrique G. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria & Asea, Patrick, 1997. "On the ineffectiveness of tax policy in altering long-run growth: Harberger's superneutrality conjecture," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 99-126, October.
- Peter Egger & Simon Loretz & Michael Pfaffermayr & Hannes Winner, 2009.
"Firm-specific forward-looking effective tax rates,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 16(6), pages 850-870, December.
- Dana Hajkova & Giuseppe Nicoletti & Laura Vartia & Kwang-Yeol Yoo, 2006. "Taxation and business environment as drivers of foreign direct investment in OECD countries," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2006(2), pages 7-38.
- Kwang-Yeol Yoo, 2003. "Corporate Taxation of Foreign Direct Investment Income 1991-2001," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 365, OECD Publishing.
- Stacie Beck & Cagay Coskuner, 2003.
"Tax Effects on the Real Exchange Rate,"
03-11, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Peter Egger, 2005. "Alternative Techniques for Estimation of Cross-Section Gravity Models," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(5), pages 881-891, November.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2003. "The proper panel econometric specification of the gravity equation: A three-way model with bilateral interaction effects," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 571-580, July.
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-23, June.
- Peter Egger & Doina Maria Radulescu, 2008.
"Labour Taxation and Foreign Direct Investment,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2309, CESifo Group Munich.
- Egger, Peter, 2000.
"A note on the proper econometric specification of the gravity equation,"
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 25-31, January.
- Peter Egger, . "A Note on the Proper Econometric Specification of the Gravity Equation," WIFO Working Papers 108, WIFO.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Amina Lahrèche-Revil & Lionel Fontagné, 2003. "Tax Competition and Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers 2003-17, CEPII research center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dlw:wpaper:11-09.. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Saul Hoffman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.