A Modified Yardstick Competition Mechanism
This paper analyzes a modified yardstick competition mechanism (MYC), where the yardstick employed consists of a tariff basket and total costs. This mechanism has a significant information advantage: the regulator "only" needs to observe total costs and output of all firms. The modified yardstick competition mechanism can ensure a socially optimal outcome when allowing for spatial and second degree price discrimination, without increasing the informational requirements. We also introduce regulatory lags in the model. A systematic comparison between the results of traditional yardstick regulation and modified yardstick regulation is carried out. Finally, we discuss the applicability of the mechanism.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dag Morten Dalen, 1998. "Yardstick Competition and Investment Incentives," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 105-126, 03.
- Joel Sobel, 1999. "A Reexamination of Yardstick Competition," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 33-60, 03.
- Spence, Michael, 1977. "Nonlinear prices and welfare," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 1-18, August.
- M. Barry Goldman & Hayne E. Leland & David S. Sibley, 1984. "Optimal Nonuniform Prices," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(2), pages 305-319.
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
- Amrstong, Mark & Cowan, Simon & Vickers, John, 1995.
"Nonlinear pricing and price cap regulation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 33-55, September.
- Chakravorty Ujjayant & Hochman Eithan & Zilberman David, 1995. "A Spatial Model of Optimal Water Conveyance," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-41, July.
- Potters, Jan & Rockenbach, Bettina & Sadrieh, Abdolkarim & van Damme, Eric, 2004.
"Collusion under yardstick competition: an experimental study,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 1017-1038, September.
- Potters, J.J.M. & Rockenbach, B. & Sadrieh, A. & van Damme, E.E.C., 2004. "Collusion under yardstick competition : An experimental study," Other publications TiSEM 2f5fc044-063c-477d-bf98-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Potters, J.J.M. & Rockenbach, B. & Sadrieh, A. & van Damme, E.E.C., 2003. "Collusion under Yardstick Competition : An Experimental Study," Discussion Paper 2003-97, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Potters, J.J.M. & Rockenbach, B. & Sadrieh, A., 2003. "Collusion under Yardstick Competition : An Experimental Study," Discussion Paper 2003-009, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Takayama,Akira, 1985. "Mathematical Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314985, October.
- Tangeras, T.P., 1999.
"Collusion-Proof Yardstick Competition,"
674, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Finsinger, Jorg & Vogelsang, Ingo, 1981. "Alternative Institutional Frameworks for Price Incentive Mechanism," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 388-404.
- Armstrong, Mark & Sappington, David E.M., 2007. "Recent Developments in the Theory of Regulation," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier.
- Kevin Currier, 2005. "Strategic Firm Behavior Under Average-Revenue-Lagged Regulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 67-79, September.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414, March.
- Sappington, David E M & Sibley, David S, 1988. "Regulating without Cost Information: The Incremental Surplus Subsidy Scheme," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(2), pages 297-306, May.
- Reinhard Selten, 1974. "Reexamination of the Perfectness Concept for Equilibrium Points in Extensive Games," Center for Mathematical Economics Working Papers 023, Center for Mathematical Economics, Bielefeld University.
- Vogelsang, Ingo, 1988. "A Little Paradox in the Design of Regulatory Mechanisms," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(3), pages 467-76, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp559. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.