Strategic Firm Behavior Under Average-Revenue-Lagged Regulation
Price caps have been shown to have incentive properties superior to traditional rate of return regulation. Average-revenue-lagged regulation (ARL) is attractive in that steady-state prices are known to be efficient. We show that the ARL scheme can be manipulated by the firm so as to yield the unregulated global profit maximum. While tests exist that can provide the regulator with evidence of this strategic behavior, we also demonstrate that the unregulated global profit maximum will not be attainable if Laspeyres (L) regulation is employed. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, Inc. 2005
Volume (Year): 27 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/industrial+organization/journal/11149/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vogelsang, Ingo, 1988. "A Little Paradox in the Design of Regulatory Mechanisms," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(3), pages 467-476, August.
- Cowan, Simon, 1997. "Price-Cap Regulation and Inefficiency in Relative Pricing," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 53-70, July.
- David E.M. Sappington & David S. Sibley, 1992. "Strategic Nonlinear Pricing under Price-Cap Regulation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(1), pages 1-19, Spring.
- James C. Cox & R. Mark Isaac, 1987. "Mechanisms for Incentive Regulation: Theory and Experiment," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 18(3), pages 348-359, Autumn.
- Cabral, Luis M B & Riordan, Michael H, 1989. "Incentives for Cost Reduction under Price Cap Regulation," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 93-102, June.
- Brennan, Timothy J, 1989. "Regulating by Capping Prices," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 133-147, June.
- Ingo Vogelsang & Jorg Finsinger, 1979. "A Regulatory Adjustment Process for Optimal Pricing by Multiproduct Monopoly Firms," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 157-171, Spring.
- David Sappington, 1980. "Strategic Firm Behavior under a Dynamic Regulatory Adjustment Process," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 11(1), pages 360-372, Spring.
- Vogelsang, Ingo, 2002. "Incentive Regulation and Competition in Public Utility Markets: A 20-Year Perspective," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 5-27, July.
- Dierker, Egbert, 1972. "Two Remarks on the Number of Equilibria of an Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(5), pages 951-953, September.