Is the End of the MFA a threat for the Tunisian Economy?
(english) The end of the Multifiber Agreement in January 2005 had a negative impact on the Tunisian apparel industry, but the effects were weaker than expected. Using a dynamic general equilibrium model, the article provides a prospective assessment of the impact on Tunisia of the phase out of the MFA and of the agreement which manages the rate of growth of Chinese clothing exports to Europe until the end of 2007. The main findings are an increase in unemployment and wage inequality, but no significant effects on the main macroeconomic variables if the exchange rate management takes into account this shock. _________________________________ (français) Le démantèlement de l’Accord Multifibres en janvier 2005 a eu un impact négatif sur l’industrie d’habillement tunisienne, mais les effets ont été plus limités que prévu. A l’aide d’un modèle d’équilibre général dynamique l’article propose une évaluation prospective de l’impact sur la Tunisie du démantèlement de l’AMF et de l’accord d’auto-limitation des exportations de vêtements qui prend fin en 2007. La principale conclusion consiste en un accroissement du chômage et des inégalités de salaires. Cependant, en présence d’une gestion adéquate du taux de change par la Banque centrale, les principales autres variables macro-économiques sont peu affectées par le choc.
|Date of creation:||May 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4, rue d'Enghien, 75010 Paris|
Phone: + 33 1 53 24 14 50
Fax: + 33 1 53 24 14 51
Web page: http://www.dial.ird.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diao, Xinshen & Roe, Terry L. & Yeldan, A. Erinc, 1998.
"How Fiscal (Mis)-Management May Impede Trade Reform: Lessons From an Intertemporal, Multi-Sector General Equilibrium Model for Turkey,"
7459, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Xinshen DIAO & Terry L. ROE & A. Erinç YELDAN, 1999. "How Fiscal Mismanagement May Impede Trade Reform: Lessons From An Intertemporal, Multi-Sector General Equilibrium Model For Turkey," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 37(1), pages 59-88, 03.
- François Bourguignon & Anne-Sophie Robilliard & Sherman Robinson, 2003.
"Representative versus real households in the macro-economic modeling of inequality,"
DELTA Working Papers
2003-05, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- François Bourguignon & Anne-Sophie Robilliard & Sherman Robinson, 2003. "Representative versus real households in the macro-economic modeling of inequality," Working Papers DT/2003/10, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Barry Eichengreen, 1992.
"Trade Liberalization in General Equilibrium: Intertemporal and Inter-industry Effects,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(2), pages 253-280, May.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Barry Eichengreen, 1989. "Trade Liberalization in General Equilibrium: Intertemporal and Inter-Industry Effects," NBER Working Papers 2965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goulder, Lawrence H. & Eichengreen, Barry, 1989. "Trade Liberalization in General Equilibrium: Intertemporal and Inter-Industry Effects," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt0ws6559g, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Lawrence H. Goulder and Barry Eichengreen., 1989. "Trade Liberalization in General Equilibrium: Intertemporal and Inter-Industry Effects," Economics Working Papers 89-110, University of California at Berkeley.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-444, June.
- Go, Delfin S., 1994. "External shocks, adjustment policies and investment in a developing economy: Illustrations from a forward-looking CGE model of the Philippines," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 229-261, August.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Summers, Lawrence H, 1986.
"A Theory of Dual Labor Markets with Application to Industrial Policy,Discrimination, and Keynesian Unemployment,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(3), pages 376-414, July.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Lawrence H. Summers, 1985. "A Theory of Dual Labor Markets with Application to Industrial Policy, Discrimination and Keynesian Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 1666, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Summers, Lawrence H, 1988.
"Relative Wages, Efficiency Wages, and Keynesian Unemployment,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 383-388, May.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1988. "Relative Wages, Efficiency Wages, and Keynesian Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 2590, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank Walsh, 1995.
"A multisector model of efficiency wages,"
199501, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Dissou, Yazid, 2002. "Dynamic Effects in Senegal of the Regional Trade Agreement among UEMOA Countries," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 177-199, February.
- George A. Akerlof, 1982. "Labor Contracts as Partial Gift Exchange," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(4), pages 543-569.
- Wendner, Ronald, 1999. "A Calibration Procedure of Dynamic CGE Models for Non-steady State Situations Using GEMPACK," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 13(3), pages 265-287, June.
- Fontana, Marzia & Wood, Adrian, 2000. "Modeling the Effects of Trade on Women, at Work and at Home," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1173-1190, July.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Go, Delfin S., 1998. "The Simplest Dynamic General-Equilibrium Model of an Open Economy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 677-714, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dia:wpaper:dt200705. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Loic Le Pezennec)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.