Trade Liberalization in General Equilibrium: Intertemporal and Inter-Industry Effects
A computable general equilibrium model is used to examine effects of removing U.S. tariff and non-tariff barriers to trade. The model differs from traditional disaggregated trade models in its attention to intertemporal decision-making, adjustment dynamics, and international capital mobility. Unilateral elimination of tariffs would reduce the welfare of U.S. households by 0.4 percent. Elimination of quantitative restrictions, in contrast, would increase U.S. welfare by 1.1 percent. The international cross-ownership of capital associated with internationally mobile capital significantly influences the distribution of capital gains and losses from trade liberalization. Disregarding cross-ownership leads to understatement of the domestic welfare losses from tariff removal and overstatement of the domestic welfare gains from eliminating quantitative restrictions.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||01 May 1989|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA USA|
Web page: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/groups/iber/wps/econwp.html
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: IBER, F502 Haas Building, University of California, Berkeley CA 94720-1922|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adler, Michael & Dumas, Bernard, 1983. " International Portfolio Choice and Corporation Finance: A Synthesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 925-84, June.
- Randall Wigle, 1988. "General Equilibrium Evaluation of Canada-U.S. Trade Liberalization in a Global Context," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(3), pages 539-64, August.
- James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1984.
"The Economic Effects of Dividend Taxation,"
NBER Working Papers
1353, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rachel McCulloch & Maurice R. Greenberg & Lionel H. Olmer, 1988.
"International Competition in Services,"
in: The United States in the World Economy, pages 367-422
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Baldwin & Carl B. Hamilton & Andre Sapir, 1988.
"Issues in US-EC Trade Relations,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bald88-1.
- Eichengreen, Barry J., 1981. "A dynamic model of tariffs, output and employment under flexible exchange rates," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 341-359, August.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1985. "Automobile prices and protection: The U.S.-Japan trade restraint," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 49-68.
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1980.
"Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
564, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Fair, Ray C & Taylor, John B, 1983. "Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1169-85, July.
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1980. "Solution and Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Nonlinear RationalExpectations Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, M A M, 1977. "Capital Accumulation in the Open Two-Sector Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(346), pages 273-82, June.
- Duffie, Darrell & Zame, William, 1989.
"The Consumption-Based Capital Asset Pricing Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1279-97, November.
- Shiells, C.R. & Stern, R.M. & Deardorff, A.V., 1988.
"Estimates Of The Elasticities Of Substitution Between Imports And Home Goods For The United States: Reply,"
235, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Clinton Shiells & Robert Stern & Alan Deardorff, 1989. "Estimates of the elasticities of substitution between imports and home goods for the United States: Reply," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 125(2), pages 371-374, June.
- James M. Poterba & Julio J. Rotemberg, 1986.
"Money in the Utility Function: An Empirical Implementation,"
408, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- James M. Poterba & Julio J. Rotemberg, 1986. "Money in the Utility Function: An Empirical Implementation," NBER Working Papers 1796, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ishii, Naoko & McKibbin, Warwick & Sachs, Jeffrey, 1985. "The economic policy mix, policy cooperation, and protectionism: Some aspects of macroeconomic interdependence among the United States, Japan, and other OECD countries," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 533-572.
- Goulder, Lawrence H. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1989.
"Tax policy, asset prices, and growth : A general equilibrium analysis,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 265-296, April.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Lawrence H. Summers, 1987. "Tax Policy, Asset Prices, and Growth: A General Equilibrium Analysis," NBER Working Papers 2128, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1981. "Taxation and Corporate Investment: A q-Theory Approach," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 12(1), pages 67-140.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Barry Eichengreen, 1989.
"Savings Promotion, Investment Promotion, and International Competitiveness,"
in: Trade Policies for International Competitiveness, pages 5-52
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Barry Eichengreen, 1988. "Savings Promotion, Investment Promotion, and International Competitiveness," NBER Working Papers 2635, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1977.
"Temporary General Equilibrium Theory,"
Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 535-72, April.
- Mussa, Michael, 1978. "Dynamic Adjustment in the Heckscher-Ohlin-Samuelson Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 775-91, October.
- Warwick J. McKibbin & Jeffrey Sachs, 1986. "Coordination of Monetary and Fiscal Policies in the OECD," NBER Working Papers 1800, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, C. E., 1988. "Output effects of a tariff under flexible exchange rates," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 359-371, May.
- Russell S. Boyer, 1977. "Commercial Policy under Alternative Exchange Rate Regimes," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 10(2), pages 218-32, May.
- Brecher, Richard A. & Diaz Alejandro, Carlos F., 1977. "Tariffs, foreign capital and immiserizing growth," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 317-322, November.
- Robert E. Hall, 1985. "Real Interest and Consumption," NBER Working Papers 1694, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucb:calbwp:89-110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.