Quantifying APEC Trade Liberalization: A Dynamic Analysis
The Bogor Declaration of 1994 proposed free trade in the Asia Pacific region by the year 2020. If implemented as announced, this program will have important implications for the world economy over the next few decades. This paper uses a new dynamic multi-sector global model called the Asia-Pacific G-Cubed Model (APGCUBED) to evaluate the economic impacts of the Bogor Declaration. The focus is on the adjustments between 1995 and 2020 in many of the APEC economies. A key aspect of the study is the role of international capital flows, expectations and physical capital accumulation in determining the size and distribution of income gains from this ambitious program of trade reform. The paper compares the implication of full APEC trade liberalization with liberalization between APEC members on a preferential basis and with liberalization that is restricted to ASEAN member economies. It is found that the largest gains for participating economies are realized by full non-preferential liberalization. Preferential liberalization only between APEC economies by discriminating against non- APEC economies only yields two thirds of these gains.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campbell, John Y & Mankiw, N Gregory, 1990.
"Permanent Income, Current Income, and Consumption,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 8(3), pages 265-79, July.
- Campbell, John Y. & Mankiw, N. Gregory, 1990. "Permanent Income, Current Income, and Consumption," Scholarly Articles 3353762, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1987. "Permanent Income, Current Income, and Consumption," NBER Working Papers 2436, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goulder, Lawrence H. & Eichengreen, Barry, 1989.
"Trade Liberalization in General Equilibrium: Intertemporal and Inter-Industry Effects,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt0ws6559g, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Barry Eichengreen, 1992. "Trade Liberalization in General Equilibrium: Intertemporal and Inter-industry Effects," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(2), pages 253-80, May.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Barry Eichengreen, 1989. "Trade Liberalization in General Equilibrium: Intertemporal and Inter-Industry Effects," NBER Working Papers 2965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence H. Goulder and Barry Eichengreen., 1989. "Trade Liberalization in General Equilibrium: Intertemporal and Inter-Industry Effects," Economics Working Papers 89-110, University of California at Berkeley.
- McKibbin, Warwick J. & Wilcoxen, Peter J., 1998.
"The theoretical and empirical structure of the G-Cubed model,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 123-148, January.
- McKibbin, W.J. & Wilcoxen, P.J., 1995. "The Theoretical and Empirical Structure of the G-Cubed Model," Papers 118, Brookings Institution - Working Papers.
- W. J. McKibbin & P. J. Wilcoxen, . "The Theoretical and Empirical Structure of the G-Cubed Model," Discussion Papers 118, Brookings Institution International Economics.
- Joyce Manchester & Warwick Mckibbin, 1995. "The global macroeconomics of NAFTA," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 203-223, July.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Minford, Patrick & Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Nowell, Eric, 1986. "A new classical econometric model of the world economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 154-174, July.
- McKibbin, W.J. & Salvatore, D., 1995.
"The Global Economic Consequences of the Uruguay Round,"
110, Brookings Institution - Working Papers.
- Warwick Mckibbin & Dominick Salvatore, 1995. "The global economic consequences of the Uruguay Round," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 111-129, April.
- Shoven, John B & Whalley, John, 1984. "Applied General-Equilibrium Models of Taxation and International Trade: An Introduction and Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 1007-51, September.
- Hayashi, Fumio, 1982. "The Permanent Income Hypothesis: Estimation and Testing by Instrumental Variables," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(5), pages 895-916, October.
- Cooper, Russel J & McLaren, Keith R, 1983. "The ORANI-MACRO Interface: An Illustrative Exposition," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 59(165), pages 166-79, June.
- repec:fth:harver:1438 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mckibbin, W.J. & Sundberg, M.W., 1990. "Macroeconomic Linkages Between The Oecd And The Asia-Pacific Region," Papers 80, Brookings Institution - Working Papers.
- Martin, W. & Winters, L.A., 1995. "The Uruguay Round and the Developing Countries," World Bank - Discussion Papers 307, World Bank.
- Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Serven, Luis, 1992. "Dynamic response to foreign transfers and terms-of-trade shocks in open economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1061, The World Bank.
- Bruce F. Parsell & Alan A. Powell & Peter J. Wilcoxen, 1989. "The Reconciliation of Computable General Equilibrium and Macroeconomic Modelling: Grounds for Hope?," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers ip-44, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- W. J. McKibbin & T. J. Bok, .
"The Impact on the Asia-Pacific Region of Fiscal Policy of the United States and Japan,"
120, Brookings Institution International Economics.
- McKibbin, W.J. & Bok, T.J., 1995. "The Impact on the Asia-Pacific Region of Fiscal Policy in the United States and Japan," Papers 120, Brookings Institution - Working Papers.
- de Melo, Jaime, 1988. "Computable general equilibrium models for trade policy analysis in developing countries: A survey," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 469-503.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:papers:1996-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Zec)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.