Evidence of Product Differentiation and Relative Quality in Italian Trade
Intra-Industry Trade implies similar trade specialisation and is often associated with product differentiation. Differentiation depends on either quality or characteristics and two-way flows can be divided accordingly. If quality matters, we can measure relative quality of exports and imports. Our objective is to apply this analysis to Italian trade with industrialised countries. Our results suggest a prevalence of two-way flows at the aggregate level. This finding hides sectoral and bilateral heterogeneity. Vertical flows prevail over horizontal flows in most sectors and for most countries. That reduces the competitive concerns linked to the similar specialisation. Finally, quality of Italian exports is lower than that of imports, but seems to be increasing.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2000|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.kites.unibocconi.it/
|Order Information:|| Postal: E G E A - via R. Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano -Italy|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- David Greenaway & Johan Torstensson,, .
"Economic Geography, Comparative Advantage and Trade Within Industries: Evidence from the OECD,"
97/16, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Greenaway, David & Torstensson, Johan, 2000. "Economic Geography, Comparative Advantage and Trade within Industries: Evidence from the OECD," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 15, pages 260-280.
- Greenaway, David, 1998. "Economic Geography, Comparative Advantage and Trade Within Industries: Evidence from the OECD," CEPR Discussion Papers 1857, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Greenaway, David & Torstensson, Johan, 1997. "Economic Geography, Comparative Advantage and Trade within Industries: Evidence from the OECD," Working Paper Series 144, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade: Methodological Issues Reconsidered," Working Papers 1997-01, CEPII research center.
- Krugman, Paul R, 1981. "Intraindustry Specialization and the Gains from Trade," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 959-73, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cri:cespri:wp114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerio Sterzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.