Regionalization And Intra-Industry Trade. An Analysis Of Automobile Industry Trade In Nafta
As was shown in some previous studies, the creation of the North American Free Trade American (NAFTA) has significantly increased trade and investment flows between member countries. Consequently, it seems appropriate to analyze the incidences of the free trade agreement on the nature of trade. In this paper, we study the intra-industry trade in the automobile industry within the NAFTA area. Our results highlight an increase in intra-industry trade since the beginning of the 1990s. The importance of intra-industry trade is evaluated with the Grubel and Lloyd indicator (1975). For final and intermediate goods, we distinguish those which are horizontally differentiated in quality (differences in unit values) from those in varieties (similar unit values). In NAFTA, intra- industry trade exists in most sectors and in two bilateral relations (United States-Canada and United States-Mexico). Therefore, we analyze the nature of that increase and more precisely, the determinants of intra-industry trade in this industry. Through a gravity model integrating some country-specific and sector variables, we found that economic distance and market size have a predominant influence on horizontal intra-industry trade. In this way, we also confirm the significant role of regional integration on the intensity of intra-industry trade.
Volume (Year): 16 (2002)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://regionetdeveloppement.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
- Krugman, Paul R, 1981. "Intraindustry Specialization and the Gains from Trade," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 959-73, October.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1982.
"A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade,"
513, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Brander, James & Krugman, Paul, 1983. "A 'reciprocal dumping' model of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 313-321, November.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1980. "A "Reciprocal Dumping" Model of International Trade," Working Papers 405, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- James A. Brander & Paul Krugman, 1983. "A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 1194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chonira Aturupane & Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1999. "Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade between Eastern Europe and the European union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Steven Globerman, 1992. "North American trade liberalization and intra-industry trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 128(3), pages 487-497, September.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg & Nicolas Peridy, 1997. "Trade Patterns Inside the Single Market," Working Papers 1997-07, CEPII research center.
- Don Clark, 1993. "Recent evidence on determinants of intra-industry trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 129(2), pages 332-344, June.
- Xiaoling Hu & Yue Ma, 1999. "International intra-industry trade of China," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 82-101, March.
- Steven Berry & Vittorio Grilli & F. Lopez-de-Silanes, 1992. "The Automobile Industry and The Mexico-Us Free Trade Agreement," NBER Working Papers 4152, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade: Methodological Issues Reconsidered," Working Papers 1997-01, CEPII research center.
- Joan A. Martín & Vicente Orts, 2001. "A two-stage analysis of monopolistic competition models of intraindustry trade," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 25(2), pages 315-333, May.
- Daniel Chudnovsky & Andres López & Fernando Porta, 1998. "Intra-industry trade and regional integration: the case of the auto industry in Argentina," Chapters, in: The Handbook of Latin American Trade in Manufactures, chapter 7 Edward Elgar.
- Fabrice Mazerolle & Jean-Louis Mucchielli, 1988. "Commerce intra-branche et intra-produit dans la spécialisation internationale de la France : 1960-1985," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 39(6), pages 1193-1218.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C & Milner, Chris, 1995. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-industry Trade: A Cross Industry Analysis for the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1505-18, November.
- Jean-Louis Mucchielli & B. Lassudrie-Duchêne, 1979. "Les échanges intra-branche et la hiérarchisation des avantages comparés dans le commerce international," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 30(3), pages 442-486.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
- Menon, Jayant & Greenaway, David & Milner, Chris, 1999. "Industrial Structure and Australia-UK Intra-industry Trade," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(228), pages 19-27, March.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- Nicolas Péridy & Michael Frudenberg & Lionel Fontagné, 1998. "Commerce international et structures de marché : une vérification empirique," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 135(4), pages 147-167.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1990. "The Heckscher-Ohlin-Samuelson Model, the Linder Hypothesis and the Determinants of Bilateral Intra-industry Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(403), pages 1216-29, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tou:journl:v:16:y:2002:p:137-159. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe Van Huffel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.