Intra Industry Trade and Product Quality: China and Eight Developing Countries
This study aims to measure the export product quality improvement for trade between China and eight selected developing countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Egypt, South Africa, Mexico, Turkey, and the Russian Federation based on disaggregated four-digit SITC data for the two periods 2000-2004 and 2004-2008. Vertical intra-industry trade high (VIITH) is considered as high quality products. The results revealed that the highest benefits of intra-industry trade with China are for South Africa in the first period and for Egypt in the second period. The highest positive growth of high quality products during the two periods is reported for Russia in the first period and for Brazil and Argentina in the second period. In conclusion, there is a massive potential for economic cooperation between China and these three partners.
Volume (Year): 12 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ijbe.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C., 1990.
"Intra Industry Specialisation, Trade Expansion and Adjustment in the European Economic Space,"
Working Paper Series
281, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- David Greenaway & Robert C. Hine, 1991. "Intra-Industry Specialization, Trade Expansion and Adjustment in the European Economic Space," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(6), pages 603-622, December.
- Abdul K. M. Azhar & Robert J. R. Elliott, 2006. "On the Measurement of Product Quality in Intra-Industry Trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(3), pages 476-495, October.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade: Methodological Issues Reconsidered," Working Papers 1997-01, CEPII research center.
- AZHAR, Abdul K.M. & Elliott, Robert J.R. & Liu, Junting, 2008. "On the measurement of product quality in intra-industry trade: An empirical test for China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 336-344, June.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2002.
"Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture,"
NBER Working Papers
9023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Hummels & Alexandre Skiba, 2004. "Shipping the Good Apples Out? An Empirical Confirmation of the Alchian-Allen Conjecture," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(6), pages 1384-1402, December.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C & Milner, Chris, 1995. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-industry Trade: A Cross Industry Analysis for the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1505-18, November.
- Abdul K. M. Azhar & Robert J. R. Elliott, 2008.
"On the Measurement of Changes in Product Quality in Marginal Intra-Industry Trade,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 144(2), pages 225-247, July.
- A K M Azhar & Robert R J Elliott, 2007. "On the Measurement of Changes in Product Quality in Marginal Intra-Industry Trade," Discussion Papers 07-09, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Hallak, Juan Carlos, 2006. "Product quality and the direction of trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 238-265, January.
- Kamal Abd-el-Rahman, 1991. "Firms’ competitive and national comparative advantages as joint determinants of trade composition," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(1), pages 83-97, March.
- Elhanan Helpman & Paul Krugman, 1987. "Market Structure and Foreign Trade: Increasing Returns, Imperfect Competition, and the International Economy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026258087x, June.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- Peter K. Schott, 2004. "Across-product Versus Within-product Specialization in International Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(2), pages 646-677, May.
- Stefano Chiarlone, 2000. "Evidence of Product Differentiation and Relative Quality in Italian Trade," KITeS Working Papers 114, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2000.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijb:journl:v:12:y:2013:i:1:p:59-72. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.