Intra-industry trade in horizontally and vertically differentiated agrifood products between Hungary and the EU
Intra-industry trade in agri-food products between Hungary and the EU is shown to be low and dominated by vertically rather than horizontally differentiated products, suggesting higher economic adjustment costs. Following recent empirical studies, we then test econometrically for the determinants of this trade using different measures of horizontal and vertical trade, and employing an array of popular explanatory variables. Results suggest that separating the measure of intra-industry trade into vertical and horizontal provides for better estimation and supports the contention that the determinants may differ by type of trade. In the regression analysis, the level of intra-industry trade is found to serve as a better dependent variable than the degree or share of intra-industry trade.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+36-1) 309-2652
Fax: (36-1) 319-3136
Web page: http://econ.core.hu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas Cooper & David Greenaway & Anthony Rayner, 1993. "Intra-Industry trade and limited producer horizons: An empirical investigation," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 129(2), pages 345-366, June.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C., 1990.
"Intra Industry Specialisation, Trade Expansion and Adjustment in the European Economic Space,"
Working Paper Series
281, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- David Greenaway & Robert C. Hine, 1991. "Intra-Industry Specialization, Trade Expansion and Adjustment in the European Economic Space," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(6), pages 603-622, December.
- Lars Nilsson, 1999. "Two-way trade between unequal partners: The EU and the developing countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 102-127, March.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C & Milner, Chris, 1995. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-industry Trade: A Cross Industry Analysis for the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1505-18, November.
- Carmela Martin & Jose V. Blanes, 1999.
"The Nature and Causes of Intra-Industry Trade: Back to the Comparative Advantage Explanation? The Case of Spain,"
European Economy Group Working Papers
1, European Economy Group.
- José Blanes & Carmela Martín, 2000. "The nature and causes of intra-industry trade: Back to the comparative advantage explanation? The case of Spain," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 423-441, 09.
- Greenaway, David & Milner, Chris & Elliott, Robert J R, 1999. " UK Intra-industry Trade with the EU North and South," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(3), pages 365-84, August.
- Lars Nilsson, 1997. "The measurement of intra-industry trade between unequal partners," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 133(3), pages 554-565, September.
- Motta, Massimo, 1992.
"Sunk Costs and Trade Liberalisation,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(412), pages 578-87, May.
- Ramkishen Rajan, 1996. "Measures of intra-industry trade reconsidered with reference to Singapore’s bilateral trade with Japan and the United States," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 132(2), pages 378-389, September.
- Kamal Abd-el-Rahman, 1991. "Firms’ competitive and national comparative advantages as joint determinants of trade composition," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(1), pages 83-97, March.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade: Methodological Issues Reconsidered," Working Papers 1997-01, CEPII research center.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1980. "Intra-industry trade under perfect monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-175, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:has:discpr:0202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adrienn Foldi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.