The success of “Made in Italy”: an appraisal of quality-based competitiveness in food markets
The role of quality is often stressed in explaining the Italian success in the international markets for consumption goods. Here the proxy for a quality led domain is a strong price rigidity of the demand in rich consuming countries for some food imports coming from Italy. Our analysis does not support this idea, as the usual price competition seems to be quite common also in very detailed food markets. It suggests that the quality image of Italian goods offers protection for some traditional products, but that this protection is not strong enough to counteract price competition. Then, the supposed incidence of the qualitatively superior Italian products on the total of the Italian products is probably overestimated.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via J.F. Kennedy 6, 43100 PARMA (Italy)|
Web page: http://economia.unipr.it/de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacint Balaguer & Vicente Orts & Jose C. Perneas, 2004. "Measuring Pricing to Market in the Eurozone: The Case of the Automobile Industry," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 261-271, 07.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 1994. "Quality Change and other Influences on Measures of Export Prices of Manufactured Goods and the Terms of Trade between Primary Products and Manufacture," NBER Working Papers 4671, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Knetter, Michael M., 1999.
"Measuring the intensity of competition in export markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 27-60, February.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1995. "Measuring the Intensity of Competition in Export Markets," NBER Working Papers 5226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stefano Chiarlone, 2000. "Evidence of Product Differentiation and Relative Quality in Italian Trade," KITeS Working Papers 114, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2000.
- Fabrizio Onida, 2004. "La Proiezione Internazionale dell'Italia," KITeS Working Papers 156, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2004.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1987. "The Causes and Consequences of the Dependence of Quality on Price," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 1-48, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:par:dipeco:2006-ep10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrea Lasagni)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.