Determinants of Vertical Intra-Industry Trade of Turkey: Panel Data Approach
Intra-industry trade (IIT) is the simultaneous export and import of commodities that are classified in the same industry group. The literature on IIT deals with horizontal IIT and vertical IIT, which are concerned with trade of products that are at the same quality and those with different qualities, respectively. Vertical IIT accounts for 80 percent of total IIT of Turkey, therefore this paper focuses on vertical IIT. The aim of this study is to analyze the determinants of vertical IIT between Turkey and 9 major trading partners (namely, Belgium, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, United Kingdom and United States of America) for the 1989-2002 period by using panel data approach. The findings of this paper will shed a light on the future foreign trade policy of Turkey.
|Date of creation:||23 Nov 2005|
|Date of revision:||23 Nov 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.deu.edu.tr/DEUWeb/Icerik/Icerik.php?KOD=442|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balassa, Bela & Bauwens, Luc, 1987. "Intra-industry Specialisation in a Multi-country and Multi-industry Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388), pages 923-39, December.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1987. "The Causes and Consequences of the Dependence of Quality on Price," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 1-48, March.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C & Milner, Chris, 1995. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-industry Trade: A Cross Industry Analysis for the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1505-18, November.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- Choorikkad Veeramani, 2002. "Intra-industry trade of India: Trends and country-specific factors," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 509-533, September.
- Joe Stone & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 1995. "Determinants of intra-industry trade: A longitudinal, cross-country analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 131(1), pages 67-85, March.
- Güzin Erlat & Haluk Erlat, 2003. "Measuring Intra-Industry and Marginal Intra-Industry Trade : The Case for Turkey," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 39(6), pages 5-38, November.
- Xiaoling Hu & Yue Ma, 1999. "International intra-industry trade of China," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 82-101, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:deu:dpaper:0505. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gonca Konyali)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.