the effects of globalization on italian industrial districts: evidence from the footwear sector
This paper is concerned with the effects of globalisation of production in some footwear Italian districts. The aim is to investigate and compare the position of those districts in the process of fragmentation of production that affected the Italian footwear sector in the last few years. The following questions are tackled: Are Italian footwear districts specialising in some particular phases of the production cycle? Is there any common trend towards a reduction of activities carried out within the districts? Or, instead, are different patterns emerging according to districts’ main segment of market and according to the value chains (top brand, low brand, mass market) they belong to? This study explores these issues by analysing the pattern of fragmentation of production in the footwear sector at provincia level, with data on outward processing trade (OPT) collected by Associazione Nazionale Calzaturieri Italiani (ANCI). Furthermore, it focuses on two case studies, Brenta and Barletta, in order to compare two districts characterised by a specialisation in different segments of the market. In the footwear districts investigated, we find evidence of differences in international delocalisation strategies and argue that these different patterns of specialisation are closely related with clusters’ market position. We suggest that the diverse patterns of specialisation condition the potential for industrial upgrading.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Perrone 18, 28100 Novara|
Web page: http://semeq.unipmn.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiarlone Stefano, 2001. "Evidence of Product Differentiation and Relative Quality in Italian Trade," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 147-168.
- Knorringa, Peter, 1999. "Agra: An Old Cluster Facing the New Competition," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1587-1604, September.
- Stefano Chiarlone, 2000. "Evidence of Product Differentiation and Relative Quality in Italian Trade," KITeS Working Papers 114, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2000.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1986. "Technology Adoption in the Presence of Network Externalities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 822-41, August.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upo:upopwp:64. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.