Subcontracting in the Italian industry. Labour Division, Firms’ Growth and North-South Divide
By making use of a 4000 firms database, this paper analyzes the dynamics of division of labour among Italian manufacturing firms during the '90s, and seeks to assess the impact that subcontracting has on manufacturing firms' growth. In particular, we investigate the relationship between labour division and firms' growth with three specific objectives: a) to understand whether and how subcontracting may have affected firms' growth dynamics; b) to test if larger growth could be due to stronger incentives to innovate for subcontracting firms and c) to study the joint influence of subcontracting and location in Southern Italy on growth. The main results are that i) the propensity to carry out subcontracting activities is relevant for growth, especially when allowing for a nonlinear relationship between growth and subcontracting; ii) more innovative subcontracting firms are also more susceptible to grow and iii) the deep dualism of the Italian industrial structure is once again confirmed, as Southern subcontractors show poorer performances and slower growth.
|Date of creation:||19 Jan 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blandina Oliveira & Adelino Fortunato, 2003.
"Testing Gibrat’s Law: Empirical Evidence from a Panel of Portuguese Manufacturing Firms,"
GEMF Working Papers
2003-07, GEMF, Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra.
- Blandina Oliveira & Adelino Fortunato, 2006. "Testing Gibrat's Law: Empirical Evidence from a Panel of Portuguese Manufacturing Firms," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 65-81.
- Anna Giunta & Domenico Scalera, 2007.
"L'impresa subfornitrice: redditività, produttività e divari territoriali,"
ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE,
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2007(3), pages 123-146.
- Anna Giunta & Domenico Scalera, 2007. "L'impresa subfornitrice:redditività,produttività e divari territoriali," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0076, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Evans, David S, 1987.
"Tests of Alternative Theories of Firm Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(4), pages 657-674, August.
- David L. Hummels & Jun Ishii & Kei-Mu Yi, 1999.
"The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade,"
72, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hummels, David & Ishii, Jun & Yi, Kei-Mu, 2001. "The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 75-96, June.
- Bengt Holmstrom & John Roberts, 1998. "The Boundaries of the Firm Revisited," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 73-94, Fall.
- Paul R. Bergin & Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 2007.
"Outsourcing and Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
13144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Variyam, Jayachandran N. & Kraybill, David S., 1992. "Empirical evidence on determinants of firm growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 31-36, January.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Stahl, Konrad & Woywode, Michael, 1998.
"Legal Form, Growth and Exit of West German Firms--Empirical Results for Manufacturing, Construction, Trade and Service Industries,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 453-488, December.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Stahl, Konrad & Woywode, Michael, 1996. "Legal Form, Growth and Exit of West German Firms - Empirical Results for Manufacturing, Construction, Trade and Service Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1401, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- F. Daveri & C. Jona-Lasinio, 2007.
"Off-shoring and productivity growth in the Italian manufacturing industries,"
Economics Department Working Papers
2007-EP08, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Francesco Daveri & Cecilia Jona-Lasinio, 2008. "Off-Shoring and Productivity Growth in the Italian Manufacturing Industries," CESifo Working Paper Series 2288, CESifo Group Munich.
- Francesco Daveri & Cecilia Jona-Lasinio, 2008. "Off-Shoring and Productivity Growth in the Italian Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers 339, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "Hypothesis Testing with Efficient Method of Moments Estimation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(3), pages 777-787, October.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
- John Humphrey & Hubert Schmitz, 2002. "How does insertion in global value chains affect upgrading in industrial clusters?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1017-1027.
- Riccaboni, Massimo & Pammolli, Fabio, 2002.
"On firm growth in networks,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1405-1416, December.
- Roberta Rabellotti & Alessia Amighini, 2003. "The effect of globalisation on industrial districts in Italy: evidence from the footwear sector," ERSA conference papers ersa03p500, European Regional Science Association.
- Silvia Sacchetti & Roger Sugden, 2003. "The Governance of Networks and Economic Power: The Nature and Impact of Subcontracting Relationships," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 669-692, December.
- McPherson, Michael A., 1996. "Growth of micro and small enterprises in southern Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 253-277, March.
- Geroski, Paul A, 1998.
"An Applied Econometrician's View of Large Company Performance,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1862, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- P. Geroski, 1998. "An Applied Econometrician's View of Large Company Performance," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 13(3), pages 271-294, June.
- Robert Feenstra & Gordon Hanson, 2001. "Global Production Sharing and Rising Inequality: A Survey of Trade and Wages," NBER Working Papers 8372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Heintz, 2006. "Low-wage manufacturing and global commodity chains: a model in the unequal exchange tradition," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(4), pages 507-520, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:13084. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.