Global trade integration and outsourcing : How well is the EU coping with the new challenges?
Even with the growing internationalisation of production and the emerging concerns regarding the outsourcing phenomenon, the present study suggests that Europe has handled the post-1990 upsurge in worldwide trade integration in a relatively successful way. The EU continues to retain its long-established title as the number 1 global trading power. In addition, the EU has been a net gainer in terms of the outsourcing part of the production relocation phenomenon, with an increase in its surplus on trade in intermediate goods and services over the period 1992 to 2003. However, despite this relatively reassuring assessment, the study also highlights a number of areas of concern, such as geographically with regard to the EU's growing trade deficits with Asia in general and technologically with the EU's exceptionally poor performance on the ICT front. Complacency must therefore be avoided and policy makers need to remain vigilant to a number of potential medium to long run challenges to the EU's present hegemony in world trade.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels|
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jörg Mayer & Arunas Butkevicius & Ali Kadri, 2002.
"Dynamic Products In World Exports,"
UNCTAD Discussion Papers
159, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Jörg Mayer & Arunas Butkevicius & Ali Kadri & Juan Pizarro, 2003. "Dynamic products in world exports," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 139(4), pages 762-795, December.
- Jörg Mayer & Arunas Butkevicius & Ali Kadri & Juan Pizarro, 2004. "Dynamic products in world exports," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 140(3), pages 762-795, September.
- Françoise Lemoine & Deniz Ünal-Kesenci, 2002. "China in the International Segmentation of Production Processes," Working Papers 2002-02, CEPII research center.
- Nigel Pain & Desirée van Welsum, 2004.
"International Production Relocation and Exports of Services,"
OECD Economic Studies,
OECD Publishing, vol. 2004(1), pages 67-94.
- Nigel Pain, 2004. "International Production Relocation and Exports of Services," NIESR Discussion Papers 237, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 2004. "Where Ricardo and Mill Rebut and Confirm Arguments of Mainstream Economists Supporting Globalization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 135-146, Summer.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2004.
"Fear of Service Outsourcing: Is It Justified?,"
NBER Working Papers
10808, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michaël Freudenberg & Françoise Lemoine, 1999. "Central and Eastern European Countries in the International Division of Labour in Europe," Working Papers 1999-05, CEPII research center.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Steve Golub & Dana Hajkova & Daniel Mirza & Kwang-Yeol Yoo, 2003. "Policies and International Integration: Influences on Trade and Foreign Direct Investment," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 359, OECD Publishing.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2006.
"International Outsourcing and the Productivity of Low-Skilled Labor in the EU,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(1), pages 98-108, January.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, . "International Outsourcing and the Productivity of Low-skilled Labour in the EU," WIFO Working Papers 152, WIFO.
- Barrell, Ray & Dées, Stéphane, 2005. "World trade and global integration in production processes: a re-assessment of import demand equations," Working Paper Series 0503, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:euf:ecopap:0259. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.