Evolving pattern of intra-industry trade specialization of the new Member States (NMS) of the EU: the case of automotive industry
This paper analyses intra-industry trade in the new member States and its impact on the convergence process. The paper investigates the development of intra-industry trade (IIT) of the NMS with major partners between 2000-2007. IIT is separated into horizontal and vertical components on the basis of differences in unit values. We have found that although inter-industry trade still accounts for almost 50% of the EU-10 countries’ trade, its share has been declining to the benefit of IIT shares (except for Malta). IIT accelerated in the post-accession period. In 2007, Slovenia and the Czech Republic recorded the highest IIT indices. Intra-industry trade of the EU-10+2 has been dominated by vertical-IIT, usually by low-quality VIIT. However, in almost all NMS, the share of high-quality vertical-IIT, as well as of horizontal-IIT in total trade increased. Thus, the pattern of NMS’ trade specialization has improved. Growing shares of IIT, in that of HIIT, reflect increasing similarities between EU-10 and the EU-15 and the convergence process of the NMS vis-à-vis EU-15 countries. In the automotive sector, the IIT indices were – generally – higher than in total trade, meaning deeper specialization. This phenomenon can be largely attributed to the high FDI penetration.Length: 38 pages
|Date of creation:||Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
- Gianfranco DE SIMONE, 2007. "Trade in parts and components and Central Eastern European Countries’ industrial geography," Departmental Working Papers 2007-17, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Grubel, Herbert G & Lloyd, P J, 1971. "The Empirical Measurement of Intra- Industry Trade," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 47(120), pages 494-517, December.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Grozea-Helmenstein, Daniela & Wörgötter, Andreas, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade Dynamics in the East-West Relations," East European Series 52, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1980. "Intra-industry trade under perfect monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-175, May.
- Finger, J M, 1975. "Trade Overlap and Intra-Industry Trade," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(4), pages 581-89, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:euf:ecopap:0364. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.