Vertical Specialisation in Europe: Evidence from the Import Content of Exports
We use input-output tables to estimate the import content (IC) of exports for several European countries, interpreting it as a measure of internationalisation. Between 1995 and 2000 the IC grew everywhere but in France; the transport equipment sector emerges as the most internationalised one. Italy and Germany show very different patterns, although both started from a very low level of IC. Italy experienced the weakest growth whereas Germany the most sizeable rise. We argue that Italian firms might have felt a lower pressure to transform their organisation due to the delayed effects of the 1992 and 1995 Lira crises.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 97 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (May-June)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998.
"Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Hijzen, Alexander & Görg, Holger & Hine, Robert C., 2004.
"International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1249, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alexander Hijzen & Holger Görg & Robert C. Hine, 2005. "International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(506), pages 860-878, October.
- Alexander Hijzen & Holger Görg & Robert C. Hine, 2004. "International Outsourcing and the Skill Structure of Labour Demand in the United Kingdom," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 437, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Francesco Daveri & Cecilia Jona-Lasinio, 2008.
"Off-Shoring and Productivity Growth in the Italian Manufacturing Industries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2288, CESifo Group Munich.
- Francesco Daveri & Cecilia Jona-Lasinio, 2008. "Off-Shoring and Productivity Growth in the Italian Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers 339, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- F. Daveri & C. Jona-Lasinio, 2007. "Off-shoring and productivity growth in the Italian manufacturing industries," Economics Department Working Papers 2007-EP08, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2003.
"Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
9723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2005. "Vertical Production Networks in Multinational Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 664-678, November.
- Chen, Hogan & Kondratowicz, Matthew & Yi, Kei-Mu, 2005. "Vertical specialization and three facts about U.S. international trade," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 35-59, March.
- Frederick L Joutz & Stephan Danninger, 2007. "What Explains Germanyâ€™s Rebounding Export Market Share?," IMF Working Papers 07/24, International Monetary Fund.
- Hummels, David & Ishii, Jun & Yi, Kei-Mu, 2001.
"The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 75-96, June.
- David L. Hummels & Jun Ishii & Kei-Mu Yi, 1999. "The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade," Staff Reports 72, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2004.
"Fear of Service Outsourcing; Is It Justified?,"
IMF Working Papers
04/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Ansgar Belke & Anselm Mattes & Lars Wang, 2007. "The Bazaar Economy Hypothesis Revisited," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut für Volkswirtschaftslehre der Universität Hohenheim 285/2007, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Roberta Rabellotti & Alessia Amighini, 2003. "The effect of globalisation on industrial districts in Italy: evidence from the footwear sector," ERSA conference papers ersa03p500, European Regional Science Association.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2006.
"The Pathological Export Boom and the Bazaar Effect - How to Solve the German Puzzle,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1708, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2006. "The Pathological Export Boom and the Bazaar Effect: How to Solve the German Puzzle," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(9), pages 1157-1175, 09.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2006. "The pathological export boom and the bazaar effect: How to solve the German puzzle," Munich Reprints in Economics 19602, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1996.
"Globalization, Outsourcing, and Wage Inequality,"
NBER Working Papers
5424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David L. Hummels & Dana Rapoport & Kei-Mu Yi, 1998. "Vertical specialization and the changing nature of world trade," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jun, pages 79-99.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rpo:ripoec:v:97:y:2007:i:3:p:189. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.